Subject: MS200/MS120 At OfficeMax: need to get mail stuff changed

From: "Richard Herndon" <k5fni@...>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 15:08:04 -0000

I see lots of stuff on this list for 100, 120, etc. But my local
(Victoria TX) store has the MS200/DET2 machines (which strangely come
up with the screen saying it is a "MailStation 120"). I have 4
reserved **IF** I can change the email data. I've been trying this
morning to use the
Function-D
Push in the reset with a toothpick
Pull out the power

I do see a different menu, but now what?

Normal reset menu:
Heading: Reset System Data
then
No Clear
Clear E-Mail Data
Clear Address Book Data
Clear All Data

When I do the Function-D dance shown above, I get a menu that is:
Heading: Reset System Data
then
Restore Default Account
Clear E-Mail Data
Clear Address Book Data
Clear All Data

Now what?
I can NEVER get it to come up with a set of input solicitations that
ask me for the email info I really need to push into the machine.

Another query:
What if I fix this one and send it to a computer illiterate cousin or
my ditto mother? Will the info hold? Or will I require them to mail it
back every time the batteries go flat? How often must the complicated
maneuver be repeated in 'normal' use?

I know that is really more than one query, but I'm holding off on a
60-mile round trip pending the answers.

Hayelp, pliz.

Rick K5FNI
Ganado TX

---

From: bmarcum@...
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 18:10:05 -0400

> ask me for the email info I really need to push into the machine.
Choose "Restore Default Account" and "Yes".  The instructions said to 
press Enter and immediately pull the plug, but I found that it works if 
you press Enter and reset.

> maneuver be repeated in 'normal' use?
I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows.  Try taking the batteries out 
and letting it sit for a few days.

-- 
Test-tube babies shouldn't throw stones.