Subject: N00b question

From: "Steve White" <jstevewhite@...>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:08:07 -0000

Just bought one of the infamous $9.00 MS120s; had gotten as far as 
identifying the chips involved when I found this group and 
discovered that a lot of my work had been done for me. Anybody got 
any input on the idea of using the MS120 as a serial console for 
headless Linux machines? Does the CXNT modem chip need rs232 inputs? 
There has to be VT100 code for Z80s out there somewhere. It would be 
a STUNNINGLY useful piece of equipment in that role... 
 
Any ideas? 
 
Steve

---

From: John Hogerhuis <jhoger@...>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:27:48 -0700

>  a STUNNINGLY useful piece of equipment in that role... 

I think CJ has done some stuff with bit banging a serial port using
the parallel port. But you'll need to add a level converter at least.

Also for cheap slabtops that make good terminals out-of-the-box
there's the Tandy WP-2, the Tandy 10x, Tandy 200, the Amstrad NC100,
or the Cambridge Z88 (with the serial port rewired to standard
ideally).

-- John.