Subject: Paralell transfer system

From: "Franco Iacomella" <iacomella@...>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 02:38:16 -0000

Hi everyone! Im working on a programme to transfer my mails of my
mailstation to my PC. I trying to do it with th "print" function of
the device, trouht the parallerl port. 

I was wondering if exist another way to transfer data form de
mailstation...any already made software? thanx! YACO

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:42:50 -0700

> mailstation...any already made software? thanx! YACO

Why not just forward them to your desktop email address?

-- John.

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:32:13 -0700

If the ROM can ever be figured out you should be able to reconfigure the 
printer port as an I/O port.
Neil

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Franco Iacomella" <iacomella@...>

---

From: "Franco Iacomella" <iacomella@...>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:19:18 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@p...>
> Why not just forward them to your desktop email address?

Because I cant connect the device to download my mails yet. The ISP
who provide the device in my country reserved for its own the
configuration. So, I need an email account of the same service. I read
that is possible to hack this 'ISP  protection' thing...so, can
anybody help me?
 Greats, YACO

---

From: "Anthony Albert" <albert@...>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:44:08 -0400

>that is possible to hack this 'ISP  protection' thing...so, can

Unfortunately, resetting the ISP configuration, if you have one of the 
Mailstations in which the setup is locked, currently requires a reset 
of the entire flash, erasing all of the email.

There is a work-around, though, for not having an account.  It is 
possible to set up a desktop computer (typically with Linux as the OS) 
with a modem to answer when you dial in, and to pretend to be the ISP's 
computer.  It might be possible to set this up yourself, or to find a 
friend who can do this.  I believe that there is further information on 
this in the archived messages.

Hope this helps,
Anthony Albert
===========================================================
Anthony J. Albert                     albert@...
Systems and Software Support Specialist          Postmaster
Computer Services - University of Maine, Presque Isle
	"This is only temporary, unless it works."
			--- Red Green

---

From: "Franco Iacomella" <iacomella@...>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:45:51 -0000

Finally I could connect my device to download my mails trought my ISP...
but Im still loosing money in each call I have to make to cnnect it.
The soultion wouldbe a prallel conecction, almost in one direction: I
want to download my mails dorm the mailstation to the PC, but not put
data inside the mailstation from de PC...however, i still have to make
a programme to do that :(

The other solution is that you mention. But I think that I may need a
winmodem to connect the device to the computer, and everyone knows the
problems of GNU/Linux to support winmodems...If I could sort this
problem i need to know what program I need to run on the computer so
the mailstation belives its connected to a real ISP. It would be nice
that someone write something about this "emulation" or give me some
data to make it on my own. :D

I hope someone help me, thanx!

YACO

> Anthony J. Albert                     albert@u...

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:33:55 -0700

> I hope someone help me, thanx!

Why would you need a winmodem? Actually, there are drivers for some
winmodems for Linux machines. Some of these modems are interesting in
that they can act as an FXO allowing you to connect a Linux box running
Asterisk to a regular phone line.

This article gives some hope that you can just connect two modems
together with a regular phone cable.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0412.2/0560.html

ATA on the host and let MS dial in. 

Unfortunately I just tried this with a MS150 and a rockwell external
modem, no workey.

Typed ATA in terminal on rockwell side, and hit Get Email on MS. I had
to configure the mailstation to "ignore dial tone" but that just kept it
from timing it out. No connection is established.

Could it be configuration on modem side? Anyone have any ideas?

-- John.

---

From: Gary Clouse <niklaus37217@...>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

Some modems are line-powered. They use the phone line
to power the part of the modem circuitry. Connecting a
cross-over phone cable between a line-powered modem
and another modem, it won't work because the
line-powered modem won't have enough voltage to
operate. Line-powered modems are common in portable
devices and can be spotted by a REN (Ringer
Equivalency Number) of more than 0. Most phone
companies allow 2 REN. The phone lines use between 24
and 48 volts.

A winmodem on the other hand is an imcomplete modem
with most of the higher-level functions (like
compression and dialing ) handed off to  a software
driver. Winmodems are cheaper to manufacture, and can
be upgraded by changing a driver. And the drivers are
buound by trade secret agreements with Microsoft which
give Microsoft dominion over who is allowed to use the
modem.
if you have 2 phone lines at home, you can run a bbs
program on you PC, call the pc from the ms on the
other line and should be able to quickly work out the
signon dialogue, and simulate it on the PC. Ther is a
simple free BBS program called AddBBS that is written
in perl. Also perl is available free of charge for
almost every OS in existance. 

> Could it be configuration on modem side? Anyone have

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "david_zmk" <David_zmk@...>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 02:23:17 -0000

You can use te regular phone line to power both modems leaving a phone
unhanged and waiting for the dialtone to shut off, the Telco will
leave the line powered but silenced, without any soun activity.
I used this method to print from my PC directly to a regular fax
machine using MSFax bundled in Win 2000.