Subject: Selecting a disassembler

From: "jmareksr" <jimmarek@...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:40:38 -0000

Do you have a suggestion for a disassembler for the Z-80?

I have used a disassembler on some Motorola 6803 ROMs that accepted a 
symbol file, which defined symbols and associated them with 
addresses. The disaasembler used the symbols as it created the 
source. This was very useful. Even nicer would be the ability to add 
documentation to the symbol file and have it appear in the generated 
listing at the corresponding locations in the code.

I will do some research on this topic, but I'd love hear your 
experiences.

Jim

---

From: "donhamilton2002" <donhamilton2002@...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:12:30 -0000

http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone5/cat49/15542.htm
http://www.znode51.de/specials/dz80131.htm
http://www.datarescue.com/

http://www.zilog.com/software/zds2.asp

Have fun !

---

From: "jmareksr" <jimmarek@...>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:56:17 -0000

Thanks for the list. Ida seems interesting. The disassembler that I 
have used in the past is called DASMx. It is downloadable for free on 
the Web. I particularly like 2 of its features - code threading and 
symbol files.

Code threading automatically follows jump and branch instructions to 
find additional streams of code to disassemble. 

The symbol files allow the user to identify code, data, character 
strings, and pointers. The disassembler uses the symbols specified in 
the file whenever the location is referenced in the code. As you 
learn more about the structure of the software, and update the symbol 
file with the new information, successive disassemblies become more 
and more useful.

Jim

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:01:43 -0000

There were MANY of these for the Z-80. Search using TRS-80. Many of 
these were written in old versions of MS Basic, but can be ported OK. 
A good place to start is http://www.trs-80.com/

Neil

--- In [email-masked], "jmareksr" <jimmarek@u...> wrote:
> ...