Subject: Aunt not getting email to Mailstation 350

From: "plosg" <gplosker@...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:49:54 -0000

Hi All,

My wife's aunt, has Earthlink and the Mailstation 350.  She is 73 
years old and this represents the only way she can do email, which 
has become very important to her.  Initially, she was able to 
sporadically receive emails.  Now, none are getting through.    

After going through which was her valid email account (i.e., the one 
with the number, the [email-masked]) and making sure we were 
sending plain text, she is still not receiving any email on the 
Mailstation 350.  Her outbound email does work.

We have logged on to the web client - www.earthlink.net - and we are 
able to see her emails, but they don't get through to her.  Does 
anyone have any ideas on this?  Can the Earthlink customer service 
people help?  

In previous discussions, a "hard re-set" has been mentioned.  How is 
this done?  Unfortunately, we don't have the manual.

Appreciate any help and thanks to all of you.

George Plosker
gplosker@...

---

From: "wayne" <waynem@...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:56:21 -0700

A few questions and then some suggestions !!

One: Is the email account "Overloaded". There is a limit to the email
accounts memory.
Go delete anything that was over a week or two old. Then check it again.

If she can still send email, then the unit sounds like it is working OK.

TWO: Can you do a manual "Get mail" by pushing the email button, and see if
it connects and
gets the mail ??? If that is OK, then the "Times" that the unit goes to get
mail is off or bad.

THREE: Check the "settings" to see if everything is still correct, or was
changed somehow ???

If it is still not working, call Earthlink tech support, and ask them to
"RE-load" the authorization
for the unit.  You will need the serial number of the unit. You must be able
to verify that you
have the authority to call in for this account.

DO NOT DO A "RESET" without tech support directing you to do it !!!

I have a couple of units for my older relatives, that aren't "computer
savvy", at first they were
very skittish to try the units, but now they can't live without them. They
have become parts
of their lives. They are now able to almost instantly communicate with their
friends and relatives,
and that improves their quality of life !!!

Wayne

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of plosg
  Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 9:50 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [mailstation] Aunt not getting email to Mailstation 350

  Hi All,

  After going through which was her valid email account (i.e., the one
  with the number, the name@...) and making sure we were
  sending plain text, she is still not receiving any email on the
  Mailstation 350. Her outbound email does work.

  George Plosker
  gplosker@...