Subject: Mailstation 350

From: "iwireless2001" <waynem@...>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:34:53 -0000

Biggest problem is trying to find where to unlock the area
that has the entries for the email address.

They couldn't get this unit to go on the system because the s/n was 
still being listed under somebodies account. (Probably paid up front 
for a full year, and then sold it), and the other unit I have, sends 
out OK, but will not receive the "special email" that changes the 
unit over to the NEW account.  SO I am stuck !!!!

If I can get into the Email address area and change it, then I can 
start using it on the Mailstation account already setup.

The 1.37 version is now blank, and can't get back in the area.
The 1.39 version brings up the "entry box", which I could get into, 
but if I wipe out the Flash, then I have 2 dead units.

Is there a way to get into it to read one, and then re-program the 
HEX on the other ???

Just need to find a way to unlock that unit to re-program it ???

wayne

---

From: "Cyrano Jones" <cyranojones_lalp@...>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 04:55:40 -0000

> The 1.37 version is now blank, and can't get back in the area.

A couple/three questions:

1) What is after the V.1.37 on the setup screen???  In particular, is 
   there a "C" after the "XTND:ON" (or "XTND:OFF")????

2) Did you blank the acct data by testing flash, or by erasing flash,
   or did you do it by interrupting the "restore factory settings"???

3) Did you try restoring factory settings to fix the blanked data???

> Just need to find a way to unlock that unit to re-program it ???

Unfortunately, just about everything we know about the 350 was in
this thread of the last few days.  As far as I know, you are the
first to get a 350 into test mode.  :-)

-- CJ

---

From: "iwireless2001" <waynem@...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 18:37:50 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "Cyrano Jones" 
<cyranojones_lalp@...> wrote:
>
> ---  "iwireless2001" <waynem@> wrote:
> 

1.  It is as you described it as above.
2. I guess by testing the flash ???  Then I also did a Flash Clear.
3.  Yes I tried to restore factory settings, there are none !!!

I need to find some way to get into the hex editor and see if I can 
re-program it or something ???

When you are is QA mode, there is a spot on the lower left for the
serial number and the seller's (Earthlink ??) name.

There are several main screens to do tests on, and all activites of 
the mailstation are tested.  But there is no way so far to do any 
flash programming or hex editing as I have been able to find out so 
far.  The ver. 1.37 goes right into the QA mode, and the ver. 1.39 
comes up with a login box, I tried the number you had given earlier 
and it came back as wrong isp.  I would assume that the number as it 
is figured out in relationship to the serial number might work there, 
but I haven't tried it as yet.....I didn't want 2 dead units.

I would assume that the units either have another code to do the 
programming or it is done as a plug in on the Parellel connection on 
the back of the unit.  We have other computer equipment that programs 
that way, so there should be some sort of programmer or software out 
there that will do that ???

---

From: "jeeggers" <ib@...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:34:14 -0000

I wonder if QA stands for Quality Assurance and is a code to be used 
by that department?  So there would be other codes (like DEV for the 
development department ?)  If not, who originally figured out the QA 
scheme ?  Also, in the menu, there's S/A and F/A if I recall 
correctly... What does that stand for ?

--- In [email-masked], "iwireless2001" <waynem@...> 
wrote:
> <cyranojones_lalp@> wrote:
> >
> > 1) What is after the V.1.37 on the setup screen???  In 
particular, 
> is

---

From: "wayne" <waynem@...>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:14:58 -0700

That's a really good question, I did not see what difference the
test menu's did ??  If I get some spare time (yeah right), I will
setup something to run some of those tests.

The thing somebody needs to do is setup something on a server that is
offline that can be setup as the DNS address that the mailstation uses
to send to Earthlink, and see what user name and password it uses to
access that account.

Then a email can be sent back to the mailstation to change the data
on the email address and password from the info we already know about
what it needs to do that.

I believe that it gets a MD5 code related to its serial number (and address)
and then is told to change to what ever email address and password that
earthlink sets up for a customer account.

I have one unit that will send to earthlink, and receive that info,
but it will not change to the new account that we setup with them.
That is the version 1.39 that I have.  The Version 1.37 I have could not
be setup with them because the serial number could not be cleared from
somebody else's account. Even though they had sold it to me.

As far as the Flash programming, we will have to track down exactly
what chips are in use in the unit, and computer type, and then see
how the CPU bus is setup.

A Jig of some sort will have to be made to allow the parallel port
on the mailstation to connect to a Parallel port on a computer. Otherwise
the TTL voltage from both will burn out each other.  There needs to be
some sort of OPTO-ISOLATOR chips or something in between.

Actually, what we need to find out is WHO made this unit and try to get
some documentation on it.

Since Earthlink is NO longer selling these units, and will phase them out
in the future, you would think that they would be a little more forthcoming
with some documentation.  If I was them, I would be trying to fix or program
as many of these units as I could to get the monthly income.

However, there does not seem to be anybody that repairs or re-programs these
units ???

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of jeeggers
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mailstation] Re: Mailstation 350

particular,
> there that will do that ???

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:23:30 -0800

> some sort of OPTO-ISOLATOR chips or something in between.

Always new people here. Welcome!

CJ has already worked all this out and there is software in the files
section. No special hardware is required, just a standard parallel port
"laplink" cable.

It is a waste of time to try to develop for the mailstation any other
way than using CJs tools that he has worked so hard on.

The mailstation is already "cracked" long ago. Now it just needs some
new software developed for it.

-- John.

---

From: govind c <govigov@...>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:07:17 +0000 (GMT)

[quote]
  Also, in the menu, there's S/A and F/A if I recall
correctly... What does that stand for ?
[\quote]
   
  what menu? and how to get it ?
   
  btw the ISP password for the default account is found in such a manner 
   
  if the serial number is 024189046 , the ISP password is , Ze09814 that is remove the last 2 digits and enter the digts backwards and 02 stands for the year of manufacture.i think you guys already know that.. but i dont know how to get the menu... 
  
wayne <waynem@...> wrote:
  That's a really good question, I did not see what difference the
test menu's did ??  If I get some spare time (yeah right), I will
setup something to run some of those tests.

Wayne

-----Original Message-----

particular,

Yahoo! Groups Links

  SPONSORED LINKS 
        Network appliance   Software development   Stainless steel appliance     Appliance attached network storage   Home appliances   Appliance repair parts 
    
---------------------------------
  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 

    Visit your group "mailstation" on the web.
    
    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
 [email-masked]
    
    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 

---------------------------------

---------------------------------
 Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket
Yahoo! Messenger Mobile Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

---

From: "jeeggers" <ib@...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:04:31 -0000

OK, now I'm confused...

I didn't know anything about the ISP Password.

I was using the QA trick, i.e. hold q and a down during boot, then 
enter the qa-password into the text-box that pops up.  The qa-
password was qa350xxxx where xxxx is the last 4 digits of the serial 
number.  All of this acording to Cyrano, and it works, but didn't 
help.  I did a flash test and flash clear, now I can't use the damn 
thing because restoring factory settings doesn't put the defaults in 
(email address).

I suppose the ISP password would bring up some new options, I've got 
to try this tonight.

--- In [email-masked], govind c <govigov@...> wrote:
>   if the serial number is 024189046 , the ISP password is , Ze09814 
that is remove the last 2 digits and enter the digts backwards and 02 
stands for the year of manufacture.i think you guys already know 
that.. but i dont know how to get the menu... 
> --- In [email-masked], "iwireless2001" <waynem@>
> wrote:
> >
>         Network appliance   Software development   Stainless steel 
appliance     Appliance attached network storage   Home appliances   
Appliance repair parts 
>  mailstation-unsubscribe@...m
>

---

From: "jeeggers" <ib@...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:08:52 -0000

If someone has figured out how to set the value for the email address 
then I'm not aware of that.  Are you saying that his has been done ?  
I wouldn't mind setting up software/laplink cable to program my 
unit.  If there's a way to do it through the ms itself, then that 
would be even better, but I just haven't seen that yet.

--- In [email-masked], "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>

---

From: "wayne" <waynem@...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:56:00 -0700

John,
from what I saw in the "files" section was about cracking the
100 and 150 version mailstations. So far I have not seen anything
on getting into the 350 units??  That is what I need to do !!!

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of John R. Hogerhuis
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [mailstation] Re: Mailstation 350

-- John.

Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: "wayne" <waynem@...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:12:04 -0700

These are mailstation 350's.........version 1.37 seems to come up in the
"diagnostic" menu, if you
hold down the "Function, Q and A" keys on the keyboard and turn the power on
or RESET the unit.

Have to hold them down UNTIL the menu comes up !!

Version 1.39 comes up with a "Login" box, which requires you to type in "QA
???????" relating to the
serial number of the unit.  Then you should get the Diagnostic menu.

So far, other testing the unit, and clearing the "flash" memory, I can't see
what use this menu is to
getting things re-programmed.

The unit S/N and SHIPID is located in the lower left of the unit.

If you test "Flash" or "Clear Flash", then when you re-power it up, all data
is cleared from the
Setup and Network areas.  Problem is that the unit will NOT let you into the
"E-mail Address" on the
Setup screen.  If you hit the "Save" key, then it tells you to enter all
data, and if you press OK,
then it goes directly to the "Email Address" location, but will NOT allow
you to enter anything in it.

You are effectively locked out from using the unit from there on.

Even resetting the "Factory settings" by the "Function and D" keys gets you
nowhere. There is NO
factory data in the "Flash" anymore to put back in the unit.

The ONLY hope is to either find a way to get into a HEX editor on the unit,
or to re-load the info
from the Parallel port via another computer.

Wayne

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of govind c
  Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 1:07 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [mailstation] Re: Mailstation 350

  [quote]

  if the serial number is 024189046 , the ISP password is , Ze09814 that is
remove the last 2 digits and enter the digts backwards and 02 stands for the
year of manufacture.i think you guys already know that.. but i dont know how
to get the menu...

    I believe that it gets a MD5 code related to its serial number (and
address)
    and then is told to change to what ever email address and password that
    earthlink sets up for a customer account.

    A Jig of some sort will have to be made to allow the parallel port
    on the mailstation to connect to a Parallel port on a computer.
Otherwise
    the TTL voltage from both will burn out each other.  There needs to be
    some sort of OPTO-ISOLATOR chips or something in between.

    Since Earthlink is NO longer selling these units, and will phase them
out
    in the future, you would think that they would be a little more
forthcoming
    with some documentation.  If I was them, I would be trying to fix or
program
    as many of these units as I could to get the monthly income.

    However, there does not seem to be anybody that repairs or re-programs
these
    units ???

    Wayne

    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
    Behalf Of jeeggers
    Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 4:34 PM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: [mailstation] Re: Mailstation 350

    particular,

    Yahoo! Groups Links

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket
  Yahoo! Messenger Mobile Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

  SPONSORED LINKS Network appliance  Software development  Stainless steel
appliance
        Appliance attached network storage  Home appliances  Appliance
repair parts

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    a..  Visit your group "mailstation" on the web.

    b..  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [email-masked]

    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

---

From: govind c <govigov@...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:00:02 +0000 (GMT)

Thank you, Wayne.
   
  I dont want to try that in that case. If the Unit is cleared out what use is it going to be? can we put the settings back in anyother way if we can get the thing to dial out? I can provide you with a copy of the configration mail. If that is helpful to you or CJ. 
   
  Can you pls let me know how to do the diagnostic test on the screen? Function + F5, right? 

wayne <waynem@...> wrote:
      These are mailstation 350's.........version 1.37 seems to come up in the "diagnostic" menu, if you
  hold down the "Function, Q and A" keys on the keyboard and turn the power on or RESET the unit.

  Version 1.39 comes up with a "Login" box, which requires you to type in "QA ???????" relating to the
  serial number of the unit.  Then you should get the Diagnostic menu.
   
  So far, other testing the unit, and clearing the "flash" memory, I can't see what use this menu is to
  getting things re-programmed.

  If you test "Flash" or "Clear Flash", then when you re-power it up, all data is cleared from the 
  Setup and Network areas.  Problem is that the unit will NOT let you into the "E-mail Address" on the 
  Setup screen.  If you hit the "Save" key, then it tells you to enter all data, and if you press OK,
  then it goes directly to the "Email Address" location, but will NOT allow you to enter anything in it.

  Even resetting the "Factory settings" by the "Function and D" keys gets you nowhere. There is NO
  factory data in the "Flash" anymore to put back in the unit.
   
  The ONLY hope is to either find a way to get into a HEX editor on the unit, or to re-load the info
  from the Parallel port via another computer.
   
  Wayne

    -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of govind c
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 1:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [mailstation] Re: Mailstation 350

  [quote]

   

Wayne

-----Original Message-----

particular,

Yahoo! Groups Links

  SPONSORED LINKS

---

From: "jeeggers" <ib@...>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:59:11 -0000

According to CJ's documentation (and I may be incorrect), a boot-
loader is invoked by the MS that looks for something on the printer 
port.  Presumably with the right s/w on the PC, it should be possible 
to re-load the flash with what was there before.  In other words, 
someone would need to back-up their flash from the MS into a file, 
then we could try and load that file back into the MS, making it 
useful again.  That's all assuming that CJ's software/hardware works 
on the 350.

>   if the serial number is 024189046 , the ISP password is , Ze09814 
that is
>     From: [email-masked] 
[mailto:mailstation@...m]On
>     > > 2) Did you blank the acct data by testing flash, or by 
erasing
>     > flash,
>     > > > Is there a way to get into it to read one, and then re-
program
>     > the
>     > and it came back as wrong isp.  I would assume that the 
number as
>     it
>     > programming or it is done as a plug in on the Parellel 
connection
>     on
>     > that way, so there should be some sort of programmer or 
software

---

From: "Cyrano Jones" <cyranojones_lalp@...>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:54:33 -0000

> useful again.  That's all assuming that CJ's software/hardware works 

What is this documentation you refer to?
....Oh.  That documentatation.  

I just took a look, and I see it does not mention the fact 
that mailbug does *not* work with the 350.  
I need to fix that!  

That's a pretty big oversight.  I guess I was just
taking for granted that anybody who actually read the 
doc had been reading the group messages.  

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mailstation/message/306

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mailstation/message/245

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mailstation/message/205

At the time when I wrote that manual, I thought everybody was
aware that the 350 was a different animal than all the others.
But I will definately add that to the manual.
My bad.

-- CJ

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:45:04 -0800

> on getting into the 350 units??  That is what I need to do !!!

Yep I was wrong, sorry! Didn't catch the 350 part of the story.

That said, how different is the 350 supposed to be?

-- John.

---

From: "Cyrano Jones" <cyranojones_lalp@...>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:03:29 -0000

> That said, how different is the 350 supposed to be?

The most significant differences I can see are the CPU 
is different, the display has 16 gray-levels, and it
does not respond to the same update protocol that the 
earlier models use.  

Also, it uses SDRAM (I think it is 2MByte), and it has 
4 MByte of flash.  There are two identical flash chips, 
each 2 MB.   

I added a link to a data sheet for the Toshiba TMP91C820AF 
to the group's links section.

I don't have any plans at the present to pursue this,
but you never know...

-- CJ