Subject: Virtual Server

From: "Cristian" <topdriver_porsche@...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:07:07 -0000

It will be possible to do this using the telephone line?  To create a 
virtual server in my PC and to deceive mailstation making him think 
that mail.mymailstation.com is the server

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 09:32:41 -0800

I wonder if or when Earthlink will abandon this URL? Might be worth grabbing 
if it becomes available. Should be able to renew it for $8 per year.

Neil

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Cristian" <topdriver_porsche@...>

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:08:12 -0800

Itchy and Scratchy? Someone watches The Simpsons!

Domain Name.......... mymailstation.com
Creation Date........ 1999-03-24
Registration Date.... 2003-04-16
Expiry Date.......... 2007-03-24
Organisation Name.... Earthlink, Inc.
Organisation Address. 1375 Peachtree St.
Organisation Address. Level A
Organisation Address. Atlanta
Organisation Address. 30309
Organisation Address. GA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Name Server.......... itchy.earthlink.net
Name Server.......... scratchy.earthlink.net

Registry Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

---

From: "Anthony Albert" <albert@...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:34:10 -0500

>that mail.mymailstation.com is the server 

It is possible to do this... however, it's not easy.  The components 
are:

 - PC with modem and phone line
 - Software for dial-in TCP/IP access, so the PC can accept the call 
from the Mailstation
 - DHCP service on the PC, to give out IP address to Mailstation
 - DNS on PC, to respond to the Mailstation's request for name 
resolution of "mail.mymailstation.com"
 - SMTP on PC, to accept mail
 - POP3 on PC, to hand mail to mailstation
 - remailler software on PC, to send/receive email with the rest of the 
Internet, and also to re-write the headers so that the mail can come 
and go.

This would be, in my opinion, easiest to set up with Linux, but it 
should be possible to do it with Windows.   I seem to recall, in the 
early days of the group, a report of someone actually doing this, but 
efforts since have been focused on finding ways to change the settings 
in the Mailstation, or to re-program the Mailstation.

Anthony Albert
===========================================================
Anthony J. Albert                     albert@...
Systems and Software Support Specialist          Postmaster
Computer Services - University of Maine, Presque Isle
	"This is only temporary, unless it works."
			--- Red Green

---

From: Gary Clouse <niklaus37217@...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:54:55 -0800 (PST)

With Windows 2000 an newer you should everthing except
the mail server and forwarder by configuring incoming
connections. 

I have been trying to do something similar on linux,
but I am having trouble to get "bind" (the linux dns
service) configured like I want.

> 	"This is only temporary, unless it works."

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: "John Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:31:00 -0800

[ Attachment content not displayed ]

---

From: "Cristian" <topdriver_porsche@...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:12:00 -0000

I made the question after reading these messages in the forum

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?
Action=ShowPost&Board=mswhatever&Post=10&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Pa
ge=0&Session=

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?
Action=ShowPost&Board=mswhatever&Post=102&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&P
age=0&Session=

To more than I arrive in Linux went to install Suse 9 and Knopix
What version of Linux use?

---

From: "Anthony Albert" <albert@...>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:31:05 -0500

>What version of Linux use? 

Any version of Linux would work, I believe.  The trick that is noted in 
the posts on linux-hacker.net is to point towards your own DNS server 
software, which can hand out IP addresses for the POP3 and SMTP server 
names, which point to your own server.

Anthony Albert

---

From: Gary Clouse <niklaus37217@...>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:01:12 -0800 (PST)

I am trying to do that now with a Compaq Clipper and
Debian Linux. You need a dhcp server to assign an IP,
a ppp server to make the connection and bind (dns
server) to fool the Clipper into thinking it's on the
internet.
So far I have got the bind configuration just right.

---

From: "Cristian" <topdriver_porsche@...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:59:35 -0000

In these pages and the forum I found examples of those who have 
tried to mount their home server with linux, but I do not understand 
it, if somebody could make a tutorial step by step.  For example 
that distribution, that packages and that configuration is special 
is used.

To connect to the server without a telephone line: 
http://www.hotspot.freeserve.co.uk/HOTSPOT/TLS/tlsframe.htm?lsdiag 

Server:
http://www.newsforge.com/print.pl?sid=02/02/05/171219 

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?
Action=ShowPost&Board=mswhatever&Post=102&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend
&Page=0&Session= 

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?
Action=ShowPost&Board=mswhatever&Post=59&Idle=0&Sort=2&Order=Descend&
Page=0&Session= 

http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?
Action=ShowPost&Board=mswhatever&Post=10&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&
Page=0&Session=

---

From: "wayne markis" <waynem@...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:50:12 -0700 (MST)

You have to load on the Apache Linux Server software onto that computer.
You are looking at around $ 500. if you buy it, or get it "Free" on the
Internet, but then YOU have to load and configure it yourself !!!

The Apache server has the mail server in it.   www.apache.org

Wayne

> Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: Gary Clouse <niklaus37217@...>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:29:49 -0800 (PST)

you will also need to install bind9 (the dns server),
dhcpd and ppp. Configuring these on linux is a lot
esier if you install Webmin. 
PPP makes the connection.
dhcp assigns an IP sddress
bind9 is the Domain Name Service
Webmin is a web based system configuration utility.
The idea is to configure Bind9 as a master server and
map you mailservice name to you server ip.