Subject: Welcome to hacking the mailstation.

From: "donhamilton2002" <donhamilton2002@...>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:26:13 -0000

Welcome all who wish to find information about the mailstation.

This groups has been set up as a central location for technical
information. The file and photo areas were missing with other locations.

I know its been years in the coming, but Ill start off with the old
files I created of the ROM dump.

I will also include pdf files of the components I have found.

If anyone has any technical information t share, please post here and
Ill add it to the files/photos lists.

thanks

hamilton

---

From: "jmareksr" <jimmarek@...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 06:54:04 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "donhamilton2002"
> Welcome all who wish to find information about the mailstation.
Thanks for setting up the group and uploading the files. I am looking
forward to figuring out how the mailstation works and then 
extending it to do some other interesting things. I have several
questions, but I'll use them to start some new threads.

Thanks again,
Jim

---

From: "searsz80" <searsz80@...>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:12:09 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "jmareksr" <jimmarek@u...> wrote:
> Thanks for setting up the group and uploading the files.

Yes, thanks for setting this up!

I have been tinkering with my mailstation for about a year now.
It probably would have just got stuck away in a box, if not for the
motivation provided by hamilton's soldering iron, and rogblake's
disassembler.  (I'm not sure if this is thanks, or blame!!!)

I had studied rogblake's work, and thought I had it figgered out.
But after much frustration trying to get the thing into reflash mode,
I broke out MY soldering iron and hacked in a rom socket.  (If I
post pictures, you will understand why it's called hacking!)  I 
figured if I couldn't get in the back door, I would just build
a new front door.  With a door-man that worked for *me*! 
 
So, I made a few test progs, and determined the address and polarity
of the printer data port bits.  Then I modified a remote debug rom I
had made over 10 years ago, to work with that port.  Now I could
put the beast through it's paces, under the control of my trusty
CP/M system (did I mention it was written over 10 years ago?)

Anyways, my goal is to use the ms for something more interesting
than email.  One idea was to add a barcode reader, and create a
sort of inventory device.  I also like the idea of porting CP/M 
to it.

--
Randy

---

From: "jmareksr" <jimmarek@...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 00:32:38 -0000

--- In [email-masked], "searsz80" <searsz80@y...> wrote:

> of the printer data port bits.  

Would you post what you learned about the printer port, and what you
learned about re-flashing the memories?

Also, do you still have a copy of RogBlake's disassembly? I lost
mine, but I recall that it had some tags on the functions in page 00.

Jim

---

From: "searsz80" <searsz80@...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:01:57 -0000

Hi,

Sorry to take so long responding. 

What I know about the printer port, (and most of the 
other ports) is in the thread "ms/z80 hacking" at 
http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=mswhatever&Post=77
There is also info on the banking of the memory, and a 
pinout for the cpu.
Did anybody see this???

As far as the disassembly, I'm not sure how earthlink would feel about
it being posted here.  Some info on addresses in reflash code is on
the other board in the thread "just deals mailstations", as well as 
rogblakes email address, if he is still using it.

I am wondering if it would be better to use that board for
discussion, and this one for files/etc???

And as for reflashing, that involves ethical considerations that I am
unsure of at this point.  I would really like to add functionality,
not cut earthlink out of the picture.

--
Randy

---

From: "searsz80" <searsz80@...>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:50:52 -0000

> Ill add it to the files/photos lists.

I posted a couple scans of my hardware in the photo section.  
You can rearrange or delete as  you see fit.

Would it be better to post files to the list in the future? 

--
Randy

---

From: "donhamilton2002" <donhamilton2002@...>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:01:46 -0000

> not cut earthlink out of the picture.

I do not think earthlink cares one way or another.

The few people here that can hack the hardware, I am sure does not
impact their bottom line.

Now if someone ever figured out how to  externally re-load code, so
any non-tech type can reflash their roms. That would be cutting them out.

I had always thought the posting about $100 to anyone who can reflash
thier MS was posted by someone at earthlink. ( we have a $100 bill for
you, just give us your name and address )

I see two dozen people here, and maybe a few hundred on
linux-hacker.net, thats just not enough to make/break anyone.

The MS devices are not really selling anyway. ( otherwise they would
not be giving them away at OfficeMax)

But, If some does find a way to reflash their MS. 

Please post here :-).

Hamilton