Subject: Re: Update of your "BasicISP" use on your Mailstation

From: Patrick Forbes <patrickforbes@...>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:15:40 -0400

I scoped it out and found:

To wipe the unit:
You will lose all programmed data. Please write down ALL programming  
information. Start with 'Extras', 'Settings' then 'Details' and  
ensure you've no typos. You will most certainly be asked to "Create  
New User" where you'll need to type it all in just as you saw it.

Press FN, Shift and T with one hand and stick a pin in the Reset hole  
in the back. The Diagnostic Menu will appear.

Press the 3 for the F/A Tester. The five grey keys aren't  
operational. Select the test of your choice. Start with Fast Test.  
When it's done press the Reset again to get back to the Diag....  
screen. Press Q to return the machine to operational status.

If you follow my previously published instructions on how to wipe  
your machine, contact BasicISP.net and for $6.95/month they can put  
you back on line. With any luck you may get your old address with a  
new 'extension' on it. They have shown themselves as being an outfit  
well worthy of our business. Their Customer Service quality and setup  
info and assistance is outstanding. They leave the others in the dust.

All you need to ask for is:
A dial up telco number that won't cost you a fortune from where you are,
E-mail Address: (pretty well your choice)
E-mail Password: (pretty well your choice, too)
POP3 Server: Address
SMTP Server: Address
ISP Account ID on a 'POP3 Server' (very important)
ISP Account Password: (pretty well your choice, but maybe not)

and most importantly, the Primary DNS Address.

That's all you need during MailStation Account Setup programming and  
you're on-line.
I've done it several times with a few prospective ISPs and only  
BasicISP came through with flying colours.

Check them out for yourself.

Please feel free to use me as a referral to them when you call. I'm  
'meema@...' on their books. I'm holding the address for my mother for  
next month when I'm switching her over.

Or contact me if difficulties arise, please.

Please consider the environment before printing this email note.

Patrick

On 29-Jul-08, at 01:27 , Dolly Wheeler wrote:

Thank you for the response.   I don't know how to get to the place  
you have the notes on the board you referred too .  Would you send me  
directions to them.  I would like to get more familiar with the yahoo  
mailstation protocol etc.

thanks, Dolly Wheeler

      If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well  
make it dance. - George Bernard Shaw  (1856-1950)

--- On Mon, 7/28/08, Patrick Forbes <patrickforbes@...> wrote:
From: Patrick Forbes <patrickforbes@...>
Subject: Re: Update of your "BasicISP" use on your Mailstation
To: "dollysgen" <dollysgen@...>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Monday, July 28, 2008, 2:51 PM

Absolutely! Of all the outfits I've found, ONLY BasicISP followed  
through with an operating system and a great deal. Their Customer  
Service is wonderful.
Yes, it really is $6.95/month. Please follow carefully the notes I  
put on the board. They're tested and work well.
Mine is currently unplugged as I will be transferring the account to  
my mum's Mailstation when I get out there.

Please consider the environment before printing this email note.

Patrick

On 28-Jul-08, at 07:32 , dollysgen wrote:

I am wondering if you are still having satisfactory service with  
BasicISP?

My brother (completly computer challenged) received a Mailstation  
Mivo 100 model DET 1m as a gift years ago.  He has not used it at  
all, understanding it would cost $100 to use.

I would like to get the mailstation online for our communication use.
Your post led me to their sight and am now wondering as to your  
experience with this company?

Thank you for your response (if on message board rather than email  
please mail me so I know where to look).

As ever, Dolly Wheeler <dollysgen@...>

---

From: "wd5hyq" <gary@...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:13:49 -0000

OK, so I got my mailstation DET1 up and running on basicISP.  It works
great, but I have one small problem.  the basicISP email address for
the mailstation is:  username@....  when you send a message
from the mailstation to someone it shows that the email address is
username@....  Anyone know why the .com is being substituted
for the .net???   Does it have anything to do with leaving the Reply
To field blank in the mailstation setup?

---

From: "wayne markis" <waynem@...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:01:14 -0700

I would think that is something that ISP net puts in ???
It goes through their mail server !!

Might be that ISP.net also owns ISP.com and they are
actually one in the same.

But you could fill in the the "Reply To" and see if there is a
difference ??

Wayne

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of wd5hyq
  Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:14 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [mailstation] Re: Update of your "BasicISP" use on your
Mailstation

---

From: "wd5hyq" <gary@...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:32:46 -0000

Never Mind....  I found the problem.  When you type in the email
address in the mailstation you really need to watch what you type.  If
you type username@....  that is what you will get.  I just
had to change it to username@... and the problem is solved.

---

From: "wd5hyq" <gary@...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:20:12 -0000

Does anyone have the key sequence to get the Mailstation 200, DET2
into the diagnostic screen so you can activate the flash test on it? 
I tried the [function][shift][t][power] that works on the 100 DET1,
but it doesn't work on the 200.  Then I hit the reset button and you
do get to the clear data screen, but that isn't the one you need to be
in first.  Is the DET1 the only model that has been reprogrammed to a
different ISP?

---

From: Bill Marcum <marcumbill@...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:27:58 -0400

> in first.  Is the DET1 the only model that has been reprogrammed to a
I have a Mailstation 150. If you press and hold Function D while you 
press Reset, you get the menu with "Restore Default Account".
To get to the diagnostic menu, you press Function-Q-A and power, you 
should see a small rectangle in the middle of the screen, then type
"qa781206".

---

From: "Cyrano Jones" <cyranojones_lalp@...>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 03:31:28 -0000

> into the diagnostic screen so you can activate the flash test on it? 

Try <function><size><t><power on>

That works on the Cidco Mivo 200, with firmware 
version 4.03M

CJ

---

From: "wayne markis" <waynem@...>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 08:35:33 -0700

The QA and then the last number sequence has something to do with the serial
number
of the unit.  Take a look at the unit and see if the 781206 is in your
serial number !!!
Wayne

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Bill Marcum
  Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:28 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: [mailstation] Re: Update of your "BasicISP" use on
yourMailstation 200

---

From: "wd5hyq" <gary@...>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:56:54 -0000

Thanks CJ.  this is the trick that worked for my 200.

--- In [email-masked], "Cyrano Jones"
<cyranojones_lalp@...> wrote:
>
> --- In [email-masked], "wd5hyq" <gary@> wrote:
> >