Subject: Re: I'm Stumped Now!

From: Patrick Forbes <patrickforbes@...>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:21:58 -0400

My little, very time consuming exercise in locating, identifying and  
testing the services of 'other' ISPs for our MailStations has shown  
only one that is head and shoulders above the rest. Earthlink being  
at the bottom.

If you follow my previously published instructions on how to wipe  
your machine, contact BasicISP.net and for $6.95/month they can put  
you back on line. With any luck you may get your old address with a  
new 'extension' on it. They have shown themselves as being an outfit  
well worthy of our business. Their Customer Service quality and setup  
info and assistance is outstanding. They leave the others in the dust.

All you need to ask for is:
A dial up telco number that won't cost you a fortune,
E-mail Address: (pretty well your choice)
E-mail Password: (pretty well your choice)
POP3 Server: Address
SMTP Server: Address
ISP Account ID on a 'POP3 Server' (very important)
ISP Account Password:

and most importantly, the Primary DNS Address.

That's all you need during MailStation Account Setup programming and  
you're on-line.
I've done it several times with a few prospective ISPs and only  
BasicISP came through with flying colours.

Check them out for yourself.

Please feel free to use me as a referral to them when you call. I'm  
'meema@...' on their books. I'm holding the address for my  
mother for next month when I'm switching her over.

Or contact me if difficulties arise, please.

Please consider the environment before printing this email note.

Patrick

On 20-Jun-08, at 06:20 , [email-masked] wrote:

______________________________________________________________
1a. Re: I'm Stumped Now!
     Posted by: "musicalman77" musicalman77@... musicalman77
     Date: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:01 am ((PDT))

I didn't change any settings on my Yahoo account(s) at all, and I
check my Spam folder daily.  This just happened about 10 days ago.
One day I was getting e-mails from Mom as I have for years, then the
next day, I couldn't.  She's not getting "bounce" messages on them;
they are just vanishing.  I had her verify that she was sending them
to my correct address, and as stated in my original post, even had her
"reply" to them from two different Yahoo accounts.  NOTHING!  I'm
convinced it has something to do with her MailStation hardware, but I
don't know what it could be.
o do with her machine, I think.