Subject: Re: Mailstation 5 months off line

From: Patrick Forbes <patrickforbes@...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:25:11 -0400

I saw that, too and I was intrigued. I do remember the moment, a few  
years ago, when that change occurred. I was quite upset at the time  
with their lack of notice and poor walk-through process to fix up my  
Mac's config.
"Outbound ..." and "Port...."? I don't know how to deal with that  
with a MailStation. Must be buried in the 'S' records somewhere......
Will be contacting Sympatico with this info and insist (or try  
to....) they provide config that accommodates my MailStation.....

Wonderful information. Must thank you. You a guru?

Patrick

Neil Morrison wrote:

     Date: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:57 pm ((PDT))

pophm and smtphm? Yeah, that's a giant red flag. I found this message:

"I was unwillingly and uninformedly 'migrated' by Sympatico to the  
pophm and
smtphm servers this past week. Got the pophm.sympatico.ca settings  
working
with their information, but the smtphm.sympatico.ca settings required  
some
frustration, learning and experimentation. For me, it turned out that
setting the outbound (smtp) server protocol to TLS and using port 587  
did
the trick. If that helps you, great. If not ... well, good luck".

I don't think a mailstation can work with these new type servers -  
I'd try
to find a small local place that uses a Unix/Linux server with a simple
login protocol. Tell them you want email only for 5 minutes a day  
max. and
you can't do any funny login protocols.

Avoid any big ones ("Free trial only") as they won't work.

BTW, not the same subject but see http://www.magicjack.com/ for  
another way
to keep in touch. Even cheaper than email, but you'd need to have it  
on your
system since I assume you don't want your mom on a broadband system.

Neil

----- Original Message -----
From: Patrick Forbes

I've tried to re-program my 'spare' Mailstation to one of my current  
Service
Providers and
can't get it to successfully talk to their server:

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:44:23 -0700

Mainly for Unix. BTW, there used to be some community ISPs around which 
would give you free net access for a small annual fee. Don't know if that 
applies in your case.

Neil

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Patrick Forbes

I saw that, too and I was intrigued. I do remember the moment, a few years 
ago, when that change occurred. I was quite upset at the time with their 
lack of notice and poor walk-through process to fix up my Mac's config.
"Outbound ..." and "Port...."? I don't know how to deal with that with a 
MailStation. Must be buried in the 'S' records somewhere......
Will be contacting Sympatico with this info and insist (or try to....) they 
provide config that accommodates my MailStation.....