Subject: Newbie...attempting ISP change on DET-1

From: "Greg" <greg.richards@...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:19:27 -0000

Is it possible to both change to a different ISP, and ALSO to retain
the Yahoo! service, which was set up through Earthlink?

I am guessing I should follow the instructions from a prior
post...(below)...can anyone confirm if this is the right sequence for
the DET-1? The below instructions were for an "original black model"

If I dump the system data, how do I set up the Yahoo! service?

Thanks, sorry for the dumb questions, I'm not much of a techie.

--Greg

FN+SHIFT+T+POWER
OPTION 3
Menu Option 6
Back Key
Q to quit
Reset System data
Clear All Data
Set Up New User
user name
password
dialup numbers
primary dns: 12.155.212.1
email address:***@...
email password:*****
incoming mail server: mail.access-4-free.com
outgoing server: smtp.access-4-free.com
ISP Login: user name (your username NOT email address!)
ISP Password: ******
save

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:51:44 -0800

Set up a second user for the second service. AFAIK, the Yahoo! service is
long gone.

Neil

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Greg" <greg.richards@...>

---

From: "Greg Richards" <greg.richards@...>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:54:46 -0000

I tried...but the "new user" function is blocked, it says to call
Customer Service to set up a new user.

--- In [email-masked], "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@h...>
wrote:
> From: "Greg" <greg.richards@f...>
>

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:27:55 -0800

You must have a newer unit then. I have a Yahoo one and I can set up any ISP
and 5 users.

Neil

Here are some notes on some models:-

FN+Shift+T or FN+Shift+Size are for MailStation 100

===================================================
If you press Function + d (on the MS 150, V4.04D) and press the
hard reset button (with a paper clip) you'll get a slightly different
menu dialog (the "Reset System Data" menu) after the memory scan? You
have to keep holding Function + d after the reboot to see it.
The menu shows an additional item: "Restore Default Account".

===================================================
I figured out how to get into the setup menu on my Mailstation 350.

Remove the batteries and use only the ac adapter to power the unit.

Perform a reset to factory default settings by pressing and holding
down the keys <Function + D> and power up. Select Yes when asked to
restore to factory settings.

During the message "Please wait while system resets" unplug the ac
adapter. This corrupts the settings in memory so that the unit will
now only bring up the setup menu.

The setup menu asks for User Name, Dial Up Number, Reply to address,
and E-mail address. There is also a Network settings button that
appears in the menu. Unfortunatly it will not let you put in an e-
mail address or allow you to go to the Network menu. I'm guessing
there is some combination of keystrokes or some hidden way to allow
access to those settings but I haven't been able to figure it out.

===================================================
Good work Jeff. I could perform the reset with batteries as well.
All I did was to to use a pin inserted on the little hole on the
back to press the reset button during the message "Please wait
while system resets". Then, press Fnct-D keys during the next
power on.

===================================================
A Mivo 250 uses Fcn-Shift-SIZE!!! Not T!!!

===================================================
Great news! I was able to configure a Mailstation (black) original model to
work with Access-4-Free, a free (10hrs month) ISP!
FN+SHIFT+T+POWER
OPTION 3
Menu Option 6
Back Key
Q to quit
Reset System data
Clear All Data
Set Up New User
user name
password
dialup numbers
primary dns: 12.155.212.1
email address:***@...
email password:*****
incoming mail server: mail.access-4-free.com
outgoing server: smtp.access-4-free.com
ISP Login: user name (your username NOT email address!)
ISP Password: ******
save

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Greg Richards" <greg.richards@...>

---

From: "Greg Richards" <greg.richards@...>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 04:08:28 -0000

Hi

Well, the instructions below worked fine (DET-1 is the "original" 
model, I guess!) 

Now I have a new problem. I am using the unit to access a POP3 
account (deluxe version of Yahoo! mail) and so I entered in 
pop.mail.yahoo.com for the POP3 setting. And of course 
smtp.mail.yahoo.com for the outgoing server setting.

Guess who can receive mail on his Mailstation, but not send it!

The Yahoo help site says that "some Internet service providers will 
block port 25. If you experience technical problems sending email, 
then you will need to use port 587 when sending via Yahoo!'s SMTP 
server."

Ug...I have no idea whether that's the real problem, and if it is, 
how to go about changing the port!

Any one have ideas??

Thanks

> From: "Greg Richards" <greg.richards@f...>
>

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:44:19 -0800

> Ug...I have no idea whether that's the real problem, and if it is, 

Maybe you could try configuring your desktop client to dial up and talk
to Yahoo. If that doesn't work then the port is probably blocked, in
which case you'll need to find a proxy server which will forward your
SMTP packets.

For a more direct test, you can usually use telnet (on desktop) to
connect to arbitrary TCP ports, in this case 25. Try hittng enter, or
HELO (or ELHO?) you should get a response from the server. If you are
able to connect and get a response then your ISP is not blocking port
25.

> how to go about changing the port!

Not sure how to change the port (if it's possible at all)

-- John.

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:55:24 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 

> Guess who can receive mail on his Mailstation, but not send it!

Two possibilities - smtp.mail.yahoo.com isn't the outgoing system, OR the
password is wrong. Neither SHOULD be possible, but strange things do happen.
I was able to hook one of these up to my ISP OK.

Neil

---

From: "jeeggers" <ib@...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:43:02 -0000

Have you tried putting in a host name of smtp.mail.yahoo.com:547  (or 
whatever that other port # was?)