Subject: MyCIDCO Info Question

From: smokyiii@...
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:55:41 -0000

Has anyone been able to make use of the MyCIDCO Info part of a stock
mailstation? I have mine set up to receive my POP3 e-mail just fine,
but it would also be nice to be able to use the Info part. Would it be
possible for me to set up a website so my mailstation can go out and
get the weather, news, etc. just like it would if hooked to Earthlink?
If so, how?

Thanks!

---

From: Ronny Julian <k4rjj@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:06:31 -0500

What mailstation do you have?  Thats been the $64000 question I've had 
all along is how to spoof this thing into going to another POP3 server.

Does anyone want to buy 1 or 2 blue Mailstations as new?  One is new in 
box.  Neither has been registered.  I just won one of the older ones 
that will fill my needs better.

Offers?  Trades?  Audreys?  Model 100s?

smokyiii@... wrote:

>Yahoo! Groups Links

---

From: smokyiii@...
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:28:34 -0000

Hi Ronny,
I have the Mivo 350 Cordless V.1.35 (black).  I received mine
yesterday, went into setup, deleted out the previous user's info and
was able to change everything. I am wanting it for my mother who
wants something simple just for e-mail. (My father has an ISP for
business, so she has her own POP3 e-mail account.)  She's now using a
3com Audrey which I fixed for her.  Problem is that Audrey is very bad
about dialing up, getting e-mail, but not hanging up in a timely
manner.  (This Mailstation dials, gets e-mail, then hangs up
immediately!)

I just thought it would also be nice to be able to give her a little
bonus with the MyCIDCO Info stuff.  I have been to
www.linux-hacker.net and wasn't able to find anything about MyCIDCO. 
There was a lot of info on going to another POP3 and much other type
of hacking.

---

From: Ronny Julian <k4rjj@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:41:02 -0500

Unfortunatley I bought two of the "Blue" ones.  These are locked down to 
the Earthlink servers.  I really don't think it's possible yet to 
reflash it.  I bought one off eBay that is the non wireless version I 
think will work for what I wanted to do.

smokyiii@... wrote:

>>What mailstation do you have?  Thats been the $64000 question I've
>>    
>>
>had 
>  
>
>>all along is how to spoof this thing into going to another POP3
>>    
>>
>server.
>  
>
>>Does anyone want to buy 1 or 2 blue Mailstations as new?  One is
>>    
>>
>new in 
>  
>
>>box.  Neither has been registered.  I just won one of the older
>>    
>>
>ones 
>  
>

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:18:22 -0800

I can't give you a guarantee BUT, experience teaches me that all of these
units from the Mivo 100 and up will reflash with the same hardware and
possibly the same software. Why re-invent the wheel? So once that's cracked,
they'll all be open. Early investigation shows that there is plenty of ROM
space unused - enough for a Basic interpreter for example.

Neil

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ronny Julian" <k4rjj@...>

---

From: Ronny Julian <k4rjj@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 18:43:38 -0500

How would that be done?  What other equipment would I have to get to 
reflash one of these?

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:45:02 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 

> How would that be done?  What other equipment would I have to get to

Someone is going to figure this out an build a reflash station. But it'll be
someone with in depth knowledge of electronics and Z-80 code. Once he does
this, you'll all be sending your Mailstations in to be 'fixed'. I want to
convert mine into a sort of super Radio Shack model 100 computer.

This is not a job to do-it-yourself.

Neil

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 21:12:30 -0800

> This is not a job to do-it-yourself.

Actually, I saw a special test clip for the TSOP flash parts like those
in the Mailstation a few months back, I may be able to dig up the link.
Just solder some wires and connect it to a programmer properly, I think
you would be set. More efficient than having to use a rework station to
lift the part and add a part w/ a documented bootloader/flash burn code

Of course if all the units can be reflashed through the software
mechanisms we're better off all around. I just have to get around to
testing CJs code on my various units. Too many projects.

-- John

---

From: "Neil Morrison" <neilsmorr@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:25:46 -0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>

> testing CJs code on my various units. Too many projects.

I'm assuming they can be reflashed via the parallel printer port, since it
seems to be clear that the code is there to do that.

Neil

---

From: "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@...>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:13:39 -0800

> seems to be clear that the code is there to do that.

There's code there, but there's no guarantee that it is in all versions
of the ROM, or that all versions behave the same, or that future
firmware revisions/updates won't rip it out.

The parallel port routines are sort of a developer's back-door. As you
know, in the field the units are upgraded via special cryptographically
protected email messages. So they could take this stuff out any time,
unless it's part of their manufacturing process.

But I imagine they would be assembling the boards with the parts already
programmed.

Basically, we just need to verify it with CJs code. Everything is in
place to move forward, it's just a matter of who has time to get it
done.

-- John.