Subject: Concorde's last Flight

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:51:37 +0100

I watched moist-eyed tonight as Concorde was seen taking off from
Manchester Airport for it's last flight.

A magnificent sight, as she took off like a beautiful but hook-nosed
bird, never destined to make huge profits for the airlines, but what an
engineering achievement.      The only supersonic airliner built, as
others were abandoned, and an Anglo-French achievement of which I am
proud . . . .

The sight of those four afterburners winking as she disappeared into the
haze was awesome.  Apparently all the approach roads to the airport were
jammed as people flocked to see her.

I flocked to the TV....
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:59:52 -0400

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote
> jammed as people flocked to see her.

I'm happy to be able to say that our son rode on
the Concorde last year. His Scottish girlfriend had
to attend a wedding in Europe and invited him along.
They had only the weekend and took the Concorde back
to the USA. I believe they used her extra flight points,
or whatever they're called. She flies quite a bit on business,
earning "free" travel this way. We might meet her Scottish
father during the Thanksgiving holiday. I can't wait.
BTW, this little lass has a pilot's license and took my
husband for a flight last year. They rented a plane in CT.
I just watched. <g>
---Sea, in the USA, who never flies...

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:46:22 +0100

~~seadancer~~ <[email-masked]> wrote
>---Sea, in the USA, who never flies...
I never flew on her, but I went inside a fuselage at the naval Air
Museum at Yeovil.   It al seemed very narrow compared with even the
Boeing 737, but outside she was a beauty!

The last take-off returning from NY was even more spectacular, with the
engines pouring flame in the night sky.
The end of an era, and we may never see supersonic passenger flight
again in our lifetimes.
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:48:35 -0500 (CDT)

Gordon wrote:  "I watched moist-eyed tonight as Concorde was seen taking
off from Manchester Airport for it's last flight. 
A magnificent sight, as she took off like a beautiful but hook-nosed
bird, never destined to make huge profits for the airlines, but what an
engineering achievement.     The only supersonic airliner built, as
others were abandoned, and an Anglo-French achievement of which I am
proud . . . . 
The sight of those four afterburners winking as she disappeared into the
haze was awesome. Apparently all the approach roads to the airport were
jammed as people flocked to see her. 
I flocked to the TV...."
**********************************************
Indeed she did look like a bird poised to pounce on her prey.  It was a
grand sight!  I was surprised to hear the interior cabin was only 9 feet
wide, but it was designed for speed, wasn't it.  Sad passing of an era!
Jeanette

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:20:00 +0000 (UTC)

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...

I, like thousands of others, would have loved to fly on Concorde, but like
those others, could never have afforded it.
I might as well give up doing the lottery now. My only consolation is that I
have seen all the Concorde aircraft apart from one of the French ones. A sad
day indeed.  :-(

>^..^<
*****