Subject: Away we go!

From: "Old Codger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:01:18 -0500

My bitter-half is busy packing a few bags and selecting clothes I'm to hang
in the back of the Suburban in awhile as we prepare to depart early tomorrow
morning for Nashville, TN.  One of our ex-son-in-laws is driving from
Winston-Salem, NC to Nashville to deliver our baby grand-daughter to us
Saturday.  She was 16 years old last month (going on 25) and we invited her
to spend about ten days with us.  Her four siblings are all gone from home
now so we figured she could use some spoiling this summer, her first without
siblings.

We're then going IL to visit a friend who has two days of antiquing planned
for us.  Usually we try to visit him in the Fall when it's cooler to do some
antiquing and visit wineries in both IL and MO.  This time, we'll visit the
MO winery w/o him but suspect he'll ask us to tote a case or two to TX for
him.  We'll antique our way across MO and then drop south just inside OK and
then antique our way home to North Central Texas.  Hopefully, the teenager
won't be too bored.

When we get home, our grand-urchins in Foat Wuth will also come to our house
(girl 17; boy 13).  The two girls are going to join their Gma and torment me
and the grandson endlessly I'm sure.  I've promised to have them at Six
Flags in Arlington, TX one day when it opens and pick them up when it
closes.  It's a long drive  for us to Six Flags but we need to spoil them!
Of course, the peace and quiet while they're at Six Flags is a reward unto
itself...  We'll fly the 16 year old home the end of the month.

If we're recovered by then, we have 6 and 16 year old grandsons in NM we'll
visit in August.  The older five grandkids are on their own now so we see
them when they come to visit us at our home.

My bitter-half and I both use canes now so packing and toting bags can be an
adventure!  Old age ain't for sissies!  We're determined to wear out rather
than rust out!

Old Codger
= = =
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened!
= = =

---

From: Dar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:24:09 GMT

I envy you the antiquing! Haven't done that on any big scale since my 
husband passed away. Not as much fun alone!

As to having the grandkids ... hope they don't wear you out! My 14 year 
old g'son lives next door and that's fun ... I can send him home if he 
gets too rambunctious! :)

-- 
______________________________________________________
Dar -- Vancouver, WA

---

From: g beaudin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:40:42 GMT

Hope you have a good time, OC!

L.B.

---

From: "WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:25:03 -0400

Just remember  boy children age 13 and above have
the brain switch moved from "on" to "OFF".  I have
not figured out why God does this, but She does.
Have been involved in scouting for many years, and
without exception at age 13, give or take a month
or two, God reaches down inside the youthful head
and moves the switch.  My ex, who was also very
active in scouting, agrees with me on the action
and the age.  Her only comment is, "It never seems
to move back to on."

-- 
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear

"Dar" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> > Inside every old person is a young person
wondering what the hell happened!
__________________________________________________
____

---

From: The Wizard of Oz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:35:50 -0400

Man oh man, I wish I'd known about that a little earlier, I live only
2.5 hours from Nashville, and could have driven up to meet you, also.
	Sounds like quite an excursion ahead of you! My mom has taken her life
by the horns as well, now. She had my younger brother's son down for a
week to attend a local tennis camp a couple of weeks ago. They live just
outside of Nashville, so it isn't too far to go to send him home if it
gets to be much trouble, but he's always a perfect gentleman around us,
even calling me "Sir!"
(Now *THAT"S* scary!) 
	She is taking "Aerobics for Seniors" at a local seniors club 3 times a
week, and quilting on Tuesdays. On Thursdays, she has a lady come in to
clean house for her, and on Sundays she gets up early to be at church at
8am with me, so she only gets to sleep in on Saturday mornings, getting
up at the late hour of 8am! She usually has me come over at 9am on
Saturdays for breakfast, then yard work, during which she keeps me
supplied with cold water and lemonade. She may do some traveling after
she gets all the paperwork caught up on the death of my father, but it
seems to be never-ending! More forms in the mail every day! 
	Age is just a state of mind, she says, and she's as active as a woman
20 years younger than her 80 years. Just 7 months ago she was in a
wheelchair, unable to walk without pain, after messing up one of her
hips trying to push my dad in a wheel chair on the thick carpeting in
their house. Now she's going strong, and getting better every day.
	Keep it up, OC, and you and the missus will out live your kids!

-- 
	Regards,
	   Wiz
	ICQ# 25567613
	Yahoo!#  wiz3012002

	"The world is a comedy to those who think,
	And a tragedy to those who feel."
			.....Horace Walpole.....