Subject: Re: a lawless cowboy

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:01:02 -0500

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:55:24 +0100, Mike Clayton <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>In message <[email-masked]>, Mike Clayton 
><[email-masked]> writes
>>You are right Eugene, there is no shortage of URL's
>
>Following up on myself <sorry>
>
>This one is interesting because it shows that not all detainees were 
>captured in combat situations:
>
>http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/sep2003/guan-s19.shtml
>
>Another:
>
>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96270,00.html
>
>This is one  were a group of former U.S. federal judges, diplomats, 
>military officials and human rights advocates urged the Supreme Court on 
>Thursday to review the case of detainees held without being charged at 
>Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere in the name of terrorism.
>
>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896&ncid=1896&e=5&u=/nm/20031009/us_nm/rights_guantanamo_dc_3

No doubt there is a lot of tugging back and forth.  

However I think the URL's I provided, from official gov. sources,
http://usinfo.state.gov , covers most to the questions. 

You will have to decide for yourself which is accurate.

-- 
Eugene A. Calame    [email-masked]
Austin, Texas USA   

Please ask your ISP to add the newsgroup alt.misc.friends

---

From: "Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:50:14 +1000

> 20031009/us_nm/rights_guantanamo_dc_3
=============
As you say, it's important to read a wide variety of sites in order to get
the whole
story and thus develop a fully informed opinion. To just read gov't sites
and form
an opinion from that is not to get the whole story, and gov't, any gov't
tends to
only offer information which supports their policy.

Bobbie

---

From: [email-masked] (Marian)
Date: 14 Oct 2003 22:35:05 GMT

>>>>The were combatants so they are being held legally.
>>>>
>>>>They will be held until all information possible has been extracted from
>them
>>>>and/or they are no longer a threat to the United States of America.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>Eugene, they are NOT all combatants. One at least was detained in
>>>Pakistan. The others may be classed as combatants once they have been
>>>tried, until then they are the accused.
>>
>>
>>Depends on which side of the gun barrel you were on I guess.  There is no
>>shortage of URl's on the subject.
>>
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1766037.stm
>http://web.amnesty.org/web/wire.nsf/April2002/guantanamo
>http://www.dawn.com/2003/08/13/int8.htm
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/archive/2524241.stm
>-- 
>Mike Clayton
>Reputation is what other people know about you. Honour is what you know about
>yourself. Lois McMaster Bujold, "A Civil Campaign", 1999
>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike_clayton

Add Neil Lewis of the NYTimes to that list. He was on the NewsHour tonight
after a recent visit to Guantanamo... Red Cross is complaining of the mental
condition of the prisoners after such a long time. Many suicide attempts, much
depression...

Marian
************************************************
War is Hell, but business is Great... 
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid1209821&pathID=1753
**********************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Marian)
Date: 14 Oct 2003 22:37:23 GMT

>Eugene A. Calame    

Oh sure, we should certainly look to *government* websites for the real skinny
on illegally imprisonment. Are you nuts?          Marian
************************************************
War is Hell, but business is Great... 
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid1209821&pathID=1753
**********************************************

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:31:49 -0500

>on illegally imprisonment. Are you nuts?          Marian

You want both sides don't you.?

---

From: "Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:50:13 +1000

> on illegally imprisonment. Are you nuts?          Marian
==========
That's what I was thinking as well.
Bobbie

---

From: "Joan F \(MI\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:12:59 -0400

No, we would like the truth for a change.

"Eugene A. Calame" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:48:04 -0500

>No, we would like the truth for a change.

Then open you mind.

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:50:23 -0500

>> on illegally imprisonment. Are you nuts?          Marian

All you got to do is be receptive to the truth.

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:39:23 GMT

"Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
 One can't debate rationally with any radical.
I've frequently thought that about you.  grin

cheers

bob

---

From: "Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:56:44 +1000

> I've frequently thought that about you.  grin
=========
Sponge calling the blotter an old soak?
Or reaction formation....projecting your
radical traits on to another.
Bobbie

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:26:23 -0500 (CDT)

Sinclair wrote:  "Mr Bush stated; "Clearly, the Castro regime will not
change by its own choice, but Cuba must change, the dictator has
responded with defiance and contempt and a new round of brutal
oppression that outraged the world's conscience." 
Bush is calling for regime change in Cuba. Regime change in Iraq, Regime
change in Iran, Regime change in North Korea, Regime change in Sierra
Leone Regime change in Syria who does think guy think he is?"
*************************************
God??? maybe.  It's not our business.
I guess you're right Sinclair, Endless War.
I don't think he ever did anthing on his own.  The power of the
presidency went to his head!  And he says and does what he wants!!!
Jeanette

---

From: Mike Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:30:40 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Eugene A. 
Calame <[email-masked]> writes
>http://usinfo.state.gov , covers most to the questions.
I am a little reluctant to accept assurances from the wolf that he 
didn't eat Little Red Riding Hood's grandma. I would place more weight 
on the opinion of other creatures of the forest :-)

>You will have to decide for yourself which is accurate.
See above :-)

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:31:04 GMT

"Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> Sponge calling the blotter an old soak?

Care to be a bit more specific?  What "radical" positions have I taken?  My
position, all along, has been that it isn't necessary to define those with
whom YOU disagree as evil.

> radical traits on to another.
ROTFLMAO.

cheers

bob