Subject: Re: "...Bush Seeks $600 Million to Hunt Iraq Arms"

From: "Joan F \(MI\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:09:55 -0400

Well, I don't think there is much difference between private and government
bureaucracy.  The motivation is perhaps different, but the profit motive
hasn't done much to help improve health care.

"Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
"Joan F (MI)" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> You think your insurance company doesn't already do this?
>
I suppose that is debatable.  At least it isn't a "gummint" burocrat.

cheers

bob

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:29:48 GMT

"Joan F (MI)" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> hasn't done much to help improve health care.
You may be right.  A story in the past few days, btw, concerns Muslim women
coming to the US, getting Medicare to have their babies and then returning
to their countries.

Not too sure what that's all about, however it does indicate that people CAN
get medical care for free........

cheers

bob

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:24:03 -0500

>get medical care for free........

No doubt about it.  In most cases if you do not have the funds medicaid, not
medicare, will pay the bills.  

The process varies a bit from state to state.
http://cms.hhs.gov/medicaid/eligibility/criteria.asp

http://www.cairco.org/econ/econ.html  ( to be taken with a bit of skepticism )
----------------------------------------
In a recent year in Colorado, the state's emergency Medicaid program paid an
estimated $30 million in hospital and physician delivery costs for about 6,000
illegal immigrant mothers - average of $5,000 per baby. Those 6,000 births to
illegal aliens represent 40% of the births paid for by Medicaid in Colorado.
Those 6,000 babies immediately became U.S. citizens and qualified for full
Medicaid services, with a cost yet to be tabulated.
 
An illegal alien mother only has to say she is "undocumented" in order to
receive immediate - and free - medical care. Denver Health is now proposing that
taxpayers approve a bond issue to pay for a bigger obstetrics unit. The present
unit was built for 1,600 births a year, yet last year alone it handled 3,500. 
----------------------------------------------

The real prize of the above is not the care.  It is the fact that the child is a
citizen of the United States of America and that can be a  help in getting legal
residence status in the United States of America for the parents.

-- 
Eugene A. Calame    [email-masked]
Austin, Texas USA   

Please ask your ISP to add the newsgroup alt.misc.friends

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:47:32 -0500 (CDT)

bob wrote:  "You may be right. A story in the past few days, btw,
concerns Muslim women coming to the US, getting Medicare to have their
babies and then returning to their countries. 
Not too sure what that's all about, however it does indicate that people
CAN get medical care for free........"
******************************************
There is a big differnce between Medicare (for those over 65) and
Medicade, bob.
I'm surprised you don't know the differece.
Jeanette

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 21:21:54 +0100

Jeanette S. <[email-masked]> wrote
>CAN get medical care for free........"
There was a furore in the UK some years ago when American women were
coming over to have their babies here.  It don't think it is worth it
nowadays!
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:43:38 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> CAN get medical care for free........"
Errrr, what was it I said that lead you to believe that I don't?

???

bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:33:33 -0400 (EDT)

Joan - not mine.  You suggested that insurance companies already
supervise who gets what health  reimbursements, and treatments.  Yes,
the HMO's do, you are correct.  I do not have an HMO; I have Medicare,
and, what ever is rejected by Medicare, is picked up by my supplemenal
Medex (BCBS) insurance.
Thus, literally everything is covered, and I have free choices.
However, it is dreadfully expensive, and therefore, is not the solution
for the many who could not afford it.  I can just about barely afford
it.It is shameful not to have a workable system for everyone.====Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:46:59 -0400 (EDT)

bob - I read the story in the paper about these Muslim women coming here
to have their babies, and then return.  It raises my hackles - yes, they
DO get free care.  And free (emergency) care is available to all poor
people - but it is limited and uneven.  The system desperately needs
some changes.  I have never been able to find a copy or description of
the system which Hillary Clinton had been trying to set up at the time.
Regardless of how one feels about Hillary (ugh!!)  but I heard it was a
very comprehensive, all-inclusive (and probably prohibitively expensive)
plan, but most felt it was unwieldy and not workable.  But I never heard
any details.
Olly

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:18:49 GMT

"Olly Mensch" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> some changes.

I cannot argue with that.

I have never been able to find a copy or description of
> plan, but most felt it was unwieldy and not workable.  But I never heard
I don't remember any details of it either.

cheers

bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:01:32 -0500 (CDT)

Bob wrote:  "Errrr, what was it I said that lead you to believe that I
don't?"
********************************
Stating that illegals come over here to have their babies on "Medicare".
I've never heard of a woman having a baby while on Medicare.
It would be highly publicized, don't you think?
I'm not saying it's impossible, but strange.
I think you meant "Medicaid".  And, yes it frosts me, that so many
illegals can have their babies in the U.S. and get away with it,going on
to have more "free" babies. (To them anyway!)  Jeanette

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:21:06 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> Bob wrote:  "Errrr, what was it I said that lead you to believe that I

That isn't something that I pulled out of "Rectal Data Storage".  It has
been all over the news.

> I've never heard of a woman having a baby while on Medicare.

You have now.

> It would be highly publicized, don't you think?

It has been.  Where have you been?  grin

> I'm not saying it's impossible, but strange.

Yes.

> I think you meant "Medicaid".

Oops.  Yes, I think you're right, it might have been.

And, yes it frosts me, that so many
> to have more "free" babies. (To them anyway!)  Jeanette
Yes.

cheers

bob