Subject: Checking in while I can

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:13:25 GMT

The fires rage on.  My power was off twice during the night and once
this afternoon, so I thought I'd check in while I have power.

The smoke is getting pretty bad.  I'm still a long way from any
evacuation area, but the situation doesn't look good.  Between Ventura
County, where I am, and the other areas in California that are having
fires, 208,000 acres have been burned and 500 homes have been destroyed.
Several people have died.  There have been 80,000 acres destroyed in
Ventura County, and both freeways leading into the valley have been
closed.  There are other ways out, but they are bound to be crowded.

The wind is blowing pretty hard, and the sky is gray with smoke.  I have
my battery operated radio on in case of another power failure.  My
daughter has said I can bring my cats and stay with her if I want to,
but so far I'm sticking it out.  If we get an evacuation warning or I
start having an asthma attack, I'll load up the cats and try to get
there.  Otherwise, I'll stay here.

I hope I'm making sense.

--
Joy

Normal is in the eye of the beholder.  -- Whoopie Goldberg

---

From: "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:29:29 -0500

This is terrible, Joy.
Thanks for checking in and keeping us posted.
I  hope you'll be OK and you won't have to evacuate.
My heart goes out to everyone caught in this tragedy.
---Sea

"Yoj" <[email-masked]> wrote

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:01:44 GMT

Thanks, Sea.  I'm still a lot better off than a lot of people.  I have
newsgroup friends who have had to evacuate themselves, and others who
have relatives who have been evacuated.

--
Joy

"~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...

---

From: "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:18:36 -0500

I don't think I could stand the tension of evacuating
my home. But, like everything else in life, I suppose
that when we're faced with an emergency, all of our
inner resources are put to the test.
Someone gave me good advice years ago.
I was reminded that we should try to have faith in our
abilities to face whatever challenges are put before us.
However, I hope I never have to face this kind of
tragedy. I'm not sure my inner resources are strong
enough to pass the test.
---Sea

> "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]> wrote
> > This is terrible, Joy.
> > > evacuation area, but the situation doesn't look good.  Between
> Ventura County, where I am, and the other areas in California that are
> having fires, 208,000 acres have been burned and 500 homes have been
> destroyed.
> > > The wind is blowing pretty hard, and the sky is gray with smoke.  I
> have my battery operated radio on in case of another power failure.  My
> > > daughter has said I can bring my cats and stay with her if I want
> to, but so far I'm sticking it out.  If we get an evacuation warning or
> I start having an asthma attack, I'll load up the cats and try to get

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 23:34:04 GMT

Hi Joy,
Sorry to hear that things are so bad.....don't be too brave,  pack up
those cats and go stay with your daughter.
The last newspaper report was 200 homes destroyed but we know that
this figure can escalate rapidly when the bushfires are out of
control.
If you get this message, know that my thoughts are with you...take
care...
jingles

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:24:39 GMT

Thank you, Jingles.  Most of the homes that were destroyed were from
other fires, about a hundred miles from me.  There were a few that were
destroyed closer to me, but not many.  To tell the truth, there are two
main reasons I haven't packed up and driven to my daughter's house
already.  First is the overwhelming task of figuring out what to take,
and packing it.  The second is the fact that I have two cats and so does
my daughter.  The thought of four miserable cats makes the idea of going
there rather unattractive.  My daughter's cats are strictly indoor cats,
while mine are indoor/outdoor.  I'd probably have to keep them shut in
one room, which would not be fun.  If I have to do it, I will, but I
haven't reached that point yet.

I am making lists of what I would want to take, and I located my fire
insurance policy and put it out, ready to grab.  Other than that, I'm in
a holding pattern right now.  If we have another power failure after it
gets dark, which it will in a couple of hours or less, I'll probably
decide to go.  Of course, if that happens, I'll wish I'd gone sooner.  I
may do some packing in a while, just in case.

When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to be grown up so I could make my own
decisions.  Now I'd give anything if I didn't have to make some of those
decisions!

Joy

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> >evacuation area, but the situation doesn't look good.  Between
Ventura
> >The wind is blowing pretty hard, and the sky is gray with smoke.  I
have

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:11:21 +0000 (UTC)

Joy, how awful for you. Get the essentials packed and leave them in the car.
Get the cats inside the house and their carriers to hand and get ready to
go. Rather two unhappy cats short term than two dead ones. Good luck, I'll
keep my fingers X

>^..^<
*****

"Yoj" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:41:58 GMT

Thanks, Jan.  It looks as though the fires are moving away from here
now, but I'll stay alert and prepared.

Joy

"Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> > > >daughter has said I can bring my cats and stay with her if I want
to,

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 05:02:03 GMT

Wouldn't hurt to put your main essentials in a bag Joy....to be on the
safe side....if you have to leave in the dark,  it would be a simple
matter to grab the bag.   You can always unpack them when the danger
is past.....Chin up lass....
(((J)))
jingles

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:20:59 GMT

Thanks, Jingles.  Things are looking better now.  The fire has moved
east, and the wind has died down.  If the wind stays low long enough,
the firefighters might be able to gain some control.

Joy

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
to,

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:17:48 +0000

Yoj <[email-masked]> wrote
>there.  Otherwise, I'll stay here.
I think so.   Panic measures don't help, but do not hesitate if you get
the official warnings either, too many have died already.
We have seen some terrifying pictures, and I hope the wind dies and the
weather changes real soon, Joy.      There is a high price sometimes for
living in idyllic places, but there has been some extraordinary weather
this last few years.
Hang in there.     
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:35:26 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
Ventura
have
> living in idyllic places, but there has been some extraordinary
weather

Thank you, Gordon.  I would have left if I'd been given an official
warning, but I wasn't.  The fire has now moved east of me, and is moving
south through largely unpopulated areas.  The wind is not as bad as it
was yesterday, so there is hope that this particular fire can be stopped
before it destroys any more homes.  There are others in the area called
the Inland Empire and in San Diego County that have done a lot more
damage and are still a danger.

Joy