Subject: Re: Syria

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:49:56 -0500 (CDT)

Gordon wrote:  "I burst out laughing at 'bloviating'.   I don't know
what it means without checking, but it is SO onomatopoeic.   :-)"
*******************************************
Hey Gordon:  I couldn't find "bloviating" in my Merriam-Webster
dictionary.  I assume codswallop means something like "horse-hockey"
(and not the kind of hockey whereby one rides on the back of a horse
trying to hit a little ball); was able to find onomatopoeic which means
the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound
associated with it; the use of words whose sound suggest the sense,
i.e., buzz, hiss. - 
I suppose one could count the sound  for giving a raspberry!  Jeanette

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 04:50:08 -0500

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:49:56 -0500 (CDT), [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)

>what it means without checking, but it is SO onomatopoeic.   :-)"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bloviating

blo·vi·ate    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (blv-t)
intr.v. Slang blo·vi·at·ed, blo·vi·at·ing, blo·vi·ates

    To discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner: “the rural Babbitt
who bloviates about ‘progress’ and ‘growth’” (George Rebeck). 

-- 
Eugene A. Calame    [email-masked]
Austin, Texas USA   

Please ask your ISP to add the newsgroup alt.misc.friends