Subject: Ivy Bensons All Girls Band

From: [email-masked] (B D Ravenhill)
Date: 23 Oct 2003 01:55:03 -0700

Does anyone remember Ivy Benson and Her "All Girl Band" which ran for
over 40 years, from 1939 to 1982 and had 250+ girl musicians passing
through over that period. They played on Radio during the War Years,
toured in Europe and the Middle East and many will remember the Summer
Seasons at the Villa Marina Gardens on the Isle of Man in the late
50's/early 60's, when up to 6000 visitors would relax in their
deckchairs to listen to an afternoon of excellent musical
entertainment.

Ivy passed away in May 1993 in Clacton on Sea where she had retired.

Little of the history of this unique UK band has been available, but I
have now developed a website to celebrate them. I am always looking
for stories, photos and memorabilia connected to this band - can you
help? You can see the site at www.ivybenson-online.com  - I hope you
enjoy it and maybe I will hear from you.

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:53:47 +0100

On 23 Oct 2003 01:55:03 -0700, [email-masked] (B D Ravenhill)

>enjoy it and maybe I will hear from you.

I certainly remember Ivy Benson, she was born in Leeds, a sharp cookie
who stood no messing! Although retired in Clacton she was a very
popular organist there.

Lanky <now off to view your site>

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:00:12 GMT

>Lanky <now off to view your site>

I remember her as part of my youth.  It always intrigued me that it
was an 'all girls' band as all the other big bands were male.
I don't remember the name of the film,  but they did make one....and I
did see it...
jingles - also about to take a peek at her youth....

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:08:49 +0000 (UTC)

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> jingles - also about to take a peek at her youth....

The only time I saw her was on the I.O.M. in the 50s.
There was a parade on the sea front and the band was leading it, I'm afraid
we were all singing 'Livin' Doll' although we did stop to watch them. ;-)

>^..^<
*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:42:09 GMT

>we were all singing 'Livin' Doll' although we did stop to watch them. ;-)

Never saw her in the flesh....but I did go to the I.O.M. in the late
40s.  my first holiday 'sans parents'... Joe Loss and his band were at
the ballroom that season.... 

jingles

---

From: "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:52:40 -0500

What a grand idea! I'm from the USA and have
never heard of Ivy Benson, but I think you've
done a good thing bringing back old memories.
Some quotes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Sooner or later we all discover that the important
 moments in life are not the advertised ones, not
 the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not
 the great goals achieved. The real milestones are
 less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory."
-Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) US social reformer, suffragist

"I have liked remembering almost as much as I have liked living."
-William Maxwell, Essay: "Nearing 90", NYTimes Magazine, 3/9/97.
(William Maxwell was a fiction editor
 at "The New Yorker " Magazine for 40 years.)
 This is one of my favorite quotes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
---Sea

"B D Ravenhill" <[email-masked]> wrote

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:45:52 +0000

~~seadancer~~ <[email-masked]> wrote
>done a good thing bringing back old memories.

I always prefer to buy surprise presents for my SO when I see something
suitable, rather than search in vain at birthdays, and as for Christmas
- Yuck!    Flowers are more expensive on Mothers Day and at Christmas.
Of course, I come unstuck sometimes - last time I bought two bunches of
flowers for M**** she asked "What are these for?   What have you been up
to"?      :-(
> This is one of my favorite quotes.
As we get older, our memories usually fill our lives more fully that new
exciting experiences, which tend to diminish, unless we are very
fortunate.    The advantage of this is that our imaginations can enhance
those memories, whereas our bodies tell the truth - that we are slowing
down.    :-)
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:49:01 +0000

>done a good thing bringing back old memories.

You would remember her, and her band, if you had been a GI stationed
in the UK during WW2............Talk about flies round a jam pot!! In
fact, many of her band married GI's and went back to America with
them. She was constantly having to look for replacement players.
<grin>

Lanky

---

From: "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:24:27 -0500

"Lanky" <[email-masked]> wrote
> them. She was constantly having to look for replacement players.

LOL! "Flies around a jam pot" !
That's a cute expression.
That's the first time I've heard it put that way.
We usually say "Moths around a flame".
---Sea

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:17:52 +0000

>We usually say "Moths around a flame".
We also say "Moths around a flame" when appropriate, but it sounds
rather terminal! We say "Flies around a jam pot" when it better suits
the situation.<g>

Lanky

---

From: "~~seadancer~~" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:41:37 -0500

> rather terminal! We say "Flies around a jam pot" when it better suits

Yes, there's definitely a difference in the
connotations of the two sayings. LOL
I like the "jam pot" better than the "flame". <g>
---Sea

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:15:27 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> flowers for M**** she asked "What are these for?   What have you been
up

It was the two bunches that made her suspicious.  That was overkill.
;-)

Joy