Subject: Bobbie - Rugby

From: Aries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:32:06 +0100

E N G L A N D 
Oi Oi Oi LOL

Now on to Melbourne!
-- 
val at copelands.co.uk
http://copelands.co.uk/val

---

From: "Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:07:54 +1000

> val
===========
Good win......however, when you get to Melbourne, it's to be:

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!! <vbg>

Bobbie

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 09:25:49 -0500 (CDT)

Val and Bobbie wte the following:  "E N G L A N D
Oi Oi Oi LOL 
Now on to Melbourne! 
-- 
val 
=========== 
Good win......however, when you get to Melbourne, it's to be: 
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!!!! <vbg>"
***************************************
Has anyone seen the new "The Office"!  It's pretty funny - that tall
skinny looking blond haired guy with huge circles under his eyes, who is
filled with his own self-importance, the stooge for David Brent.  In the
first episode, he gets on his phone and starts saying "Oggy Oggy Oggy
and oink oink oink."  Wonder if that is what he referring to, but no
that would make sense, nd Gareth is such an idiot, eve more so than his
boss.  Also the staff from thebranch which was closed in Swindon, come
to the office; David is still in charge but has anew boss.  David starts
his usual nonsense of strange noises and weird dances and nasty jokes;
the newcomers report to David's boss that they are offended by his
racist jokes.  He is such a fool, he's funny.  Tonight will be the 2nd
of 6 episodes, I believe.  It's an example of slapstick comedy, in my
opinion.  Jeanette

---

From: Aries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:38:50 +0100

Floating through the mists of time and space in cyberspace on Sun, 19 Oct

> of 6 episodes, I believe.  It's an example of slapstick comedy, in my

It's a very funny series Jeanette - makes me giggle :)
-- 
val at copelands.co.uk
http://copelands.co.uk/val

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:25:26 GMT

>> Now on to Melbourne!

Lying (or should that be laying?) in my hospital bed last Friday
(false alarm for chest pains) the nurse offered me the TV controls and
said 'Enjoy!'  I had the choice of Rugby, Football, Cricket, Motor
Bikes or the Children's Programme......I chose radio  <grin>

jingles

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:21:54 GMT

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> Bikes or the Children's Programme......I chose radio  <grin>

I hope they didn't stick a nitroglycerin patch on you as they did on me
when the same thing happened a year or so ago.  That was a killer
headache!  As I recall, I had a choice of soaps, lurid talk shows, or
turning the thing off and reading.  Luckily, I had brought a book with
me.

Joy

---

From: "Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:46:34 +1000

> <[email-masked]> wrote:
=========
> Bikes or the Children's Programme......I chose radio  <grin>
==========
What a choice. It would have been nice if they offered something
different.....like documentaries.

Bobbie

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:17:53 GMT

>turning the thing off and reading.  Luckily, I had brought a book with

Had one of those patches 'installed' just once, a bit over a year
ago.....never again.  I put my foot down this time.....

Unfortunately didn't have time to collect a book....<grin>

jingles

---

From: Jim Vatunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:34:58 +1000

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:17:53 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>ago.....never again.  I put my foot down this time.....
i take angina pills every day. when i first took them they warned of
headaches. they were right. after a few days you get used to them.
here's a tip. no matter how crook you get never bother wasting your
time going to hospital at xmas time.
>Unfortunately didn't have time to collect a book....<grin>

For the latest weather where i am click
http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:49:25 GMT

>http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/
I am happy to say that angina is not one of the things I suffer
from....but you know what it is like.  Chest pains and naturally they
take every precaution.   
I have to to admit....our local hospital is becoming a home away from
home lately....three trips in less than a year.  But I've got to admit
that it is nice when you are recognised with a smile and a cheery
greeting.  

jingles

---

From: Jim Vatunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:11:21 +1000

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:49:25 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>that it is nice when you are recognised with a smile and a cheery
they'll always be nice but at xmas there's nobody qualified to do
anything still working in the place.
i had a turn at xmas 1999 and they wouldn't release me till a
specialist had seen me. but since that was still 4 weeks into the
future they let me out after only 4 days. of course all the printouts
and buzzing from the wires they had hanging off me were totally wasted
as there was nobody around who could read what they meant.

---

From: Aries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:31:54 +0100

> Bikes or the Children's Programme......I chose radio  <grin>

I didn't realise you were hospitalised last week Jingles - have I missed
this important post - I did do a fair bit of ketchuping recently.  Hope you
are OK now?   You're obviously are not a sports lover then LOL
-- 
val at copelands.co.uk
http://copelands.co.uk/val

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:10:49 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:12:10 GMT

>http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/

Thanks for the warning.....I shall do my best to spend Christmas at
home....<grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:17:10 GMT

>are OK now?   You're obviously are not a sports lover then LOL

Only an overnight stay Val....a precautionary measure only....it
turned out to be the arthritis in the neck causing the problem....but
as the ambulance man (who looked exactly like Nicholas Cage I am glad
to say) said....we can't ignore the remotest possibility....
So I hitched up mi nighty and climbed onto the trolley......and away
we went...
The only bed they had available was in the orthopaedic ward so there I
am sitting up in bed eating breakfast,  while the three elderly ladies
looked enviously on.....it seems they were only allowed fruit juice.
Almost choked on my toast and jam I did......

jingles

---

From: Aries <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:28:51 +0100

Floating through the mists of time and space in cyberspace on Mon, 20 Oct

> So I hitched up mi nighty and climbed onto the trolley......and away

Nicholas Cage eh!  Drool :)  Glad to hear your prob wasn't that serious:)

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:14:24 -0500 (CDT)

jingles wrote:  "Lying (or should that be laying?) in my hospital bed
last Friday (false alarm for chest pains) the nurse offered me the TV
controls and said 'Enjoy!' I had the choice of Rugby, Football, Cricket,
Motor Bikes or the Children's Programme......I chose radio <grin>"
***********************************************
Dear jingles:  I am sorry to hear you've been in the hospital.  I know I
missed your humor on this newsgroup and wondered what had happened.  I
was in hospital the previous week with heart failure, but am feeling
better now.  Oh, the trials and tribulations of having a disease  that
incapacitates one!  I hope you're back home and feeling better now.  My
hospital has the local and cable channels and music.  
So I could see the programs I reularly watched in the evening, when I
could figure out which ch. numbers they were called!  Get well soon.
Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:18:35 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote:  "I hope they didn't stick a nitroglycerin patch on you as
they did on me when the same thing happened a year or so ago. That was a
killer headache! As I recall, I had a choice of soaps, lurid talk shows,
or turning the thing off and reading. Luckily, I had brought a book with
me."
**********************************************
I also brought books as daytime TV is terrible.  I did have niroglycerin
patches stuck to me.  I didn't get the headaches though.  In fact, they
helped to increase the flow of blood to my heart
reducig my blood ressure and pulse.  Jeanette

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:37:48 GMT

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> Unfortunately didn't have time to collect a book....<grin>

My mother has had heart trouble for decades, and has nitroglycerine
tablets handy.  However, she almost never takes one, even when she is
having severe chest pain.  I couldn't understand that, and her
explanation, "The nitro gives me a headache" didn't make sense to me.
Then I had that patch and found out what she meant.  I've had some bad
headaches, but nothing to match that.  I had forgotten about my mother's
comments until I mentioned the headache to a nurse and she said, "Oh,
yes.  That's the nitro."  Now I understand my mother - and you (at least
when it comes to nitro).  My pain turned out to be esophageal spasms.
The doctor told me nitro helps with that too.  I guess you have to
decide which pain is worse.  Luckily my doctor found something else to
help with the spasms, which I don't have very often.

It's a wonder anybody ever takes nitro voluntarily - more than once,
anyway.

Joy

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:41:05 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> or turning the thing off and reading. Luckily, I had brought a book
with

I'm sorry you had the problem, and the hospital stay, but I'm glad the
nitro helped without giving you the headache.

Joy

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:48:06 GMT

>It's a wonder anybody ever takes nitro voluntarily - more than once,

I guess if it is a matter of life and death.....you could be tempted,
although I understand that not everybody has such a severe
reaction....

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:50:41 GMT

>Nicholas Cage eh!  Drool :)  Glad to hear your prob wasn't that serious:)

Just imagine sitting there in your warm winter nighty peering through
your night cream into the face of Nicholas Cage.....
He did gaze back with sympathy though.....<grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:54:32 GMT

>Motor Bikes or the Children's Programme......I chose radio <grin>"

Glad you're OK too Jeanette.....but look on the bright side.....you
CAN watch your favourite programmes.....<grin>
Like me....you put up a good fight.....

jingles  (((J)))

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 02:41:57 GMT

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> He did gaze back with sympathy though.....<grin>

If the ambulance man does sympathy as well as Nicholas Cage, that might
almost be worth a trip to the hospital.  <G>

Joy

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 03:16:24 GMT

>almost be worth a trip to the hospital.  <G>

Believe me he did....especially when he held my hand in the
ambulance...<grin>

jingles

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 03:32:15 GMT

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> >> >Floating through the mists of time and space in cyberspace on Mon,
20
> >Oct

Ooooh!  ;-)

Joy

---

From: Jim Vatunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:06:34 +1000

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:17:10 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>Almost choked on my toast and jam I did......
oh dear. what state did you say you lived in?
you may need a 2nd mortgage to pay for an ambulance in some places.

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:11:54 GMT

>http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/

Here in Victoria we 'poor' pensioners ride for free....<grin> though I
had to come home under my own steam....

jingles

---

From: Jim Vatunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:30:13 +1000

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:11:54 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>had to come home under my own steam....

i think in QLD everyone gets a free ride now, since they put a levy on
the power bills in July.
i got my 2 yearly good news letter yesterday with my disability
pension being extended for another 2 years after the nuisance and
stressful review. i wish they'd just leave me alone like they did 30
years ago.

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:41:16 GMT

>http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/

am I reading this correctly?  You have to go through the whole
performance to prove your disability every two years?  I agree that
would be pretty stressful, especially as you are not in the first
flush of youth....

jingles

---

From: Jim Vatunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:40:34 +1000

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:41:16 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>would be pretty stressful, especially as you are not in the first

not quite. but i do have to fill out a form telling them everything
about me and my doctor has to do one as well.
pity is when like me you move around and get new doctors who are far
from familiar with you.

---

From: Aries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:22:01 +0100

> He did gaze back with sympathy though.....<grin>

giggle!

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:46:55 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote:  "It's a wonder anybody ever takes nitro voluntarily - more
than once, anyway."
**********************************
I know.  I was leery because I'd heard of the headaches people got when
using it.  Luckily it didn't happen to me, and is really helpig my BP.
Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:53:14 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote: "If the ambulance man does sympathy as well as Nicholas Cage,
that might almost be worth a trip to the hospital. <G>"
*************************************
Almost.  Did you hear Nick and Lisa Marie are going to get married
again?  Unbelievable!  I do think Nick could do better than her, but so
far, he seems to have struck out in the marriage deprtment.  Too bad,
because I really like him
and his movies.  Jeanette

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:16:10 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> Joy wrote:  "It's a wonder anybody ever takes nitro voluntarily - more

I'm glad to hear it, Jeanette.  I didn't know it was ever used for BP.
The medication I take for that has no side effects - or rather I am
experiencing no side effects from it.  ;-)

Joy

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:17:18 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> that might almost be worth a trip to the hospital. <G>"

Yes I did, and I agree - all around.  Of course maybe if he'd look for
somebody in his own age group, he'd have better luck with marriage.  Did
you see him in "City of Angels?"

Joy

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:50:28 -0400 (EDT)

Jeanette - the little nitro tablets are a life-saver at times; however,
they also give me a wild headache, so I do not take them anymore.  Ahhh,
the pleasures of old age!!===Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:54:02 -0400 (EDT)

jingles - you are hallucinating!  Nicholas Cage - - yeah, right!!!!!!
Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:55:32 -0400 (EDT)

"Do not go gently into that good night."
Dylan Thomas
Olly

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:00:45 +0100

jingles <[email-masked]> wrote
>turned out to be the arthritis in the neck causing the problem....

I didn't read this post properly.  Do you get a stiff neck and when you
move your head a certain way feel as though you are going to 'black out'
I wonder?

No?  Oh well I'm unique then!
I have to keep my neck muffled up against cold winds or it seizes, with
unpleasant results.   Hence the neck warmer filled with herbs and
wheat....
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:50:17 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> unpleasant results.   Hence the neck warmer filled with herbs and

I know a woman who wears what looks like a neck brace because of a
similar problem.  Actually, she has several, in different colors, so she
can coordinate them with what she is wearing.

Joy

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:15:33 +0100

Yoj <[email-masked]> wrote
>can coordinate them with what she is wearing.
Hides the old turkey-neck also, I bet!    <eg>
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:25:06 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:54:02 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] (Olly

>jingles - you are hallucinating!  Nicholas Cage - - yeah, right!!!!!!

I may be getting old,  but I have a hearing aid and a good pair of
spectacles....and believe me (or don't just as you choose)  he was a
Nicholas Cage lookalike....<grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:32:31 GMT

>unpleasant results.   Hence the neck warmer filled with herbs and

I have arthritis in the neck and the discs have worn away....the one
in the shoulder girdle causes the most problems....but I never tilt my
head backwards or I would black out....<grin>
Neurologist says they won't operate unless I am paralysed or writing
in agony, because it is too dangerous.....Ain't life grand? 

Got a joke for you Gordon....heard it on TV this morning.

Annie an 80 year old lady in a nursing home woke up feeling very
randy.....she wandered out into the corridor and found William a
sprightly 85 year old  coming out of his room.  She put the hard word
on him and they both went back inside....
They began to make love and suddenly she said "I have acute angina"
"Mmm! " said William "your breasts are pretty good too...."

Boom! Boom!

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:33:59 GMT

>can coordinate them with what she is wearing.

When necessary I settle for a check woollen scarf wrapped round once
and knotted at the back....but only indoors <grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:35:09 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:55:32 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] (Olly

>"Do not go gently into that good night."

I shall go out kicking and screaming......(Fancy being forced to miss
your own Wake....<grin>)

jingles

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:02:58 +0000 (UTC)

> He did gaze back with sympathy though.....<grin>

Glad you are ok jingles, bet you only went
 for the food  <g> Take care.

>^..^<
*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:29:32 +0000 (UTC)

> unpleasant results.   Hence the neck warmer filled with herbs and

When you say 'black out' does everything start to wobble
so that you feel that you are going to fall over? I have a
cervical spondylosis and a side effect of that is vertebro-basilar
insufficiency. It's caused when the arteries to the base of the brain are
obstructed and the flow of blood is impeded. Unfortunately there is not a
damn thing that can be done about it except the old adage of 'learning to
live with it'. You'll just need to be careful not to jerk your head around
quickly.

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:43:29 +0000 (UTC)

"Yoj" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> can coordinate them with what she is wearing.

I make different coloured covers to slip over my brace to
match outfits. They blend in so well that in the warm weather
when the brace is obvious I am asked what have I done to my neck? I was
prescibed my first one in 1976! My disguise
must work. <g>

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:53:19 -0400 (EDT)

jingles==reveries!!!!
I am even beyond reveries!!  However, every night, I go to bed with
Pavarotti!!
Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:56:20 -0400 (EDT)

Jingles - - I won't miss my wake - unlike you, I am being cremated.
(ugh!!)
Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:08:23 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:53:19 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] (Olly

>I am even beyond reveries!!  However, every night, I go to bed with

I guess you have a king size bed  <grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:09:24 GMT

> for the food  <g> Take care.

And the wine <grin>

jingles (who missed you....)

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:14:32 GMT

>prescibed my first one in 1976! My disguise

It would have been about that time , or a bit earlier,that a
specialist prescribed one  for me.   I wore it for a year and then
went to a very knowledgeable physio who worked in a hospital.  I was
there for two weeks and underwent treatment twice a day....very
painful at times I must add.
But I came out without the brace and with a bit of help from the
physio  kept reasonably well until the last couple of years or so.
The makeshift brace was suggested to me by a physio to use when a
particular activity caused pain.   For the most part it works quite
well.

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:17:26 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:56:20 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] (Olly

>Jingles - - I won't miss my wake - unlike you, I am being cremated.

Where did you get the idea I wasn't being cremated?  I still expect my
passing to be celebrated in the usual manner.....

jingles

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:18:19 +0000 (UTC)

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> jingles (who missed you....)

thank you, that's nice to know.

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:48:35 +0000 (UTC)

> >prescribed my first one in 1976! My disguise
> >must work. <g>
> >
> >>^..^<
>

I was told to wear it all the time when I first got it and only take it off
when sitting still. I even had one for night wear.
Then I got to thinking that my muscles would go slack through
lack of use  so I only wear it on transport because travelling
over bumps and hard braking is painful. I still do my neck
exercises to keep the muscle tone and I do have a special neck
roll for night. Sometimes I have to resort to my night collar.
I have two & half discs missing so the vertebra are fused,
I have the same prob with my lower back and a steel corset,
but that's another story. :-)

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:58:44 GMT

>but that's another story. :-)

Fusing the verterbrae is apparently not an option for me....
so I have to make the best of it....With a little help from my friends
<grin>

jingles

---

From: Jim Vatunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:10:30 +1000

>but that's another story. :-)
i am SO glad i don't have back problems.
have you seen the new treatment that just cements the bones?
i'm not sure if your's is the same trouble but it's been a miracle
cure for some.

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:18:19 +0100

>"Mmm! " said William "your breasts are pretty good too...."
<g>
It gripes me hearing about all these 'sprightly 85 year olds'.
I'm 70 soon and my sprightliness is hanging by a thread...  
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:05:08 +0000 (UTC)

> so I have to make the best of it....With a little help from my friends

It wasn't an option for me either, mother nature did it
all by herself. I was offered an op: but it was only a 30% chance of sucess
or it might even make it worse. I'm not
so much green as cabbage looking, operating in the neck
 area, surgeon sneezes, paralysed from neck down, I don't
think so, I'll put up with the pain, I still enjoy my walks.<g>

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:19:11 +0000 (UTC)

> http://members.iinet.net.au/~farmerjim/

Mine is a problem with fixed sacroiliac joints, the lower
back bones that are suppose to slide when bending. I have
learnt to bend from the hip instead of the waist,(waist? what waist?)
It is a bit easier but then of course there is, like many of us,
the arthritis in left side of hip, knee,shoulder and two thirds of
the spine. The bad news I was told, was I had arthritis, diagnosed when I
was 23, the good news was it was osteo-!
Old age doesn't come itself. <bg>

*****

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:40:30 +0100

Jan Lancaster <[email-masked]> wrote
>live with it'. You'll just need to be careful not to jerk your head around
Sounds familiar.   Nobody has told me I have a spondylosis, but I have
self-diagnosed the flow of blood to the brain being impeded.  :-(

I live with it, and avoid bending my neck back, just as you do.
It is very definitely worse when the weather is cold and in a cold wind,
so I wrap up.      Applying warmth gives relief in two ways, reducing
the arthritic effect, and dilating the blood vessels.

Of course we know that bitterly cold weather is the time for strokes.

My long term fear is that I will experience what happened to my mother.
She suddenly went into spasmodic head movements which my sister and I
thought was a stroke, but the emergency doctor who came out called it a
spasm.   He looked thoughtful for a while, and then gave her an
injection, which stopped the spasms within a short time.

Our own GP came out next day, and almost blew his top when he heard what
had happened, saying that the injection should not have been given.
He then said "You should realise what you will now have to cope with".
He seemed to imply that it would have been better had she been allowed
to die.
He was right, there was brain damage, and my sister had a hell of a time
with her for some 10 months.    I was there when I could, but I was
working and had a wife and young children.    I would go in the evening
and tell Sis to get out of the house for a few hours, but she used to
say that if she did - she would not come back.  I understood
that........

We tried everything to get her into a Geriatric hospital, to no avail.
It was finally resolved, with my sister at the end of her tether, when
the doctor and a district nurse were there, and my sister showed them
the timetable of tablets she had to dispense, and declared it impossible
to fit them all in and get any sleep.

The doc picked the bottles up one at a time, reviewed what they did with
the nurse, and removed all but the water tablets and some which were "to
keep her quiet" (Instead of her wandering out the door in her nightie!).

The nurse firmly told me that I should sleep in the house that night,
which I did, to find that my mother had died peacefully in her sleep. 
If I follow the same path I hope that it will be done sooner!
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:51:21 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote:  "I'm glad to hear it, Jeanette. I didn't know it was ever
used for BP. The medication I take for that has no side effects - or
rather I am experiencing no side effects from it. ;-)"
**********************************
The nitro helps, but not completely.  I also take Cozaar.  It is hard to
control my blood pressure as it stems from valvular heart disease and
atrial fibrillation.  Until a year ago this past August, even with my
health problems, I never had BP go over the 130's with diastolic
somewere in the 50/60's.  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:54:32 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote:  "Yes I did, and I agree - all around. Of course maybe if
he'd look for somebody in his own age group, he'd have better luck with
marriage. Did you see him in "City of Angels?""
*************************************
No I didn't.  I hardly ever go out to the movie theatre any more, just
wait for the movie to come out on video.  By then, I've forgotten that I
wanted to see it!  Sigh... Jeanette

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:18:48 +0100

>think so, I'll put up with the pain, I still enjoy my walks.<g>

My close friend was in his 50s when he had bad problems with his back.
He was unable to get in and out of his car without severe pain, and
unable to lift the ladders out of the car boot to do his job as a
surveyor.

His company paid BUPA for him, so he went to a specialist.
The outcome was that he was told that he needed an operation which would
give him only a 50% chance of being able to walk.   The company said
that if he wanted to get back to work . . . . .

So he had the op, and was able to walk, but has to 'throw' his foot,
like John Thaw did, but for a different reason.

He had to have a company car which was automatic and with plenty of
headroom.    He got that, then they offered him early retirement soon
after, I suspect because he was not doing as many surveys as the younger
guys.   ;-) 

He has all kinds of skeletal/ nerve problems which can't be diagnosed,
so has had a spinal tap, which crippled him for a week, and he is only
slowly recovering.

We are hoping for good news but . . .
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:38:20 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> rather I am experiencing no side effects from it. ;-)"

My high blood pressure is a relatively new development too - in the last
couple of years.  I remember one exam, a loooong time ago, when the
nurse tried three different sphigmomometers (sp?) before she would
believe my BP was 90/60.  I have a minor problem with my heart, but
nothing like yours.  I hope the medication helps.

Joy

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:38:19 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> If I follow the same path I hope that it will be done sooner!

I know what you mean, Gordon.  What a terrible experience for all of
you!  How is your sister doing now?  Has she ever really recovered?

Joy

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:39:13 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> marriage. Did you see him in "City of Angels?""

The next time you're looking for a video, see if they have "City of
Angels".  If you like Nicholas Cage, you'll love the movie.

Joy

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:56:16 +0100

>you!  How is your sister doing now?  Has she ever really recovered?

Oh yes, she married and moved away, selling the house to a property
developer and making a killing.    She's a bit eccentric, has had many
dogs over the years, including at one time six Shiatsus.
Wears strange clothes......   :-)

She had a stroke several years ago but almost completely recovered
except for slow speech, which is a blessing really.  <g>
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:39:33 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> except for slow speech, which is a blessing really.  <g>

Quite the talker, is she?  ;-)  I'm glad she's doing so well.

Joy

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:57:59 GMT

>think so, I'll put up with the pain, I still enjoy my walks.<g>

I tend to feel the same way ..... when the Grim Reaper calls,  I want
to be on my feet and running <grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:01:24 GMT

>We are hoping for good news but . . .
He certainly is having a rough time....
My young (50) niece is a nurse and had a back problem.....her surgery
didn't relieve the pain at all....she is still having a lot of
problems.

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:04:24 GMT

>I'm 70 soon and my sprightliness is hanging by a thread...  

Don't you think it is odd that these sprightly 85 year olds only
appear in jokes.....?  gives you something to think about....
Hang in there Gordon....

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:08:37 GMT

>If I follow the same path I hope that it will be done sooner!

What a traumatic experience for both of you....and what a wise gp you
had..... I often think we are kinder to our animals than we are to
human beings.....

jingles

---

From: Mike Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:01:22 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
> to be on my feet and running <grin>

When the Grim Reaper calls I want to be out :-)
-- 
Mike Clayton
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike_clayton

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:28:54 +0000 (UTC)

> appear in jokes.....?  gives you something to think about....

We have an 87 year old in our walking group, (come to think of it I am the
baby of the group) all are women apart from
Bill who is 85. Maybe it's mainly us gals that are sprightly?

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:28:56 +0000 (UTC)

"Mike Clayton" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> > >> >I was told to wear it all the time when I first got it and only take
it
> > >off

ROTFL, Me too sunshine, me too.

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:46:46 GMT

>When the Grim Reaper calls I want to be out :-)

Why do you think I want to be running?  if he is going to catch
me...he has to chase me  <grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:48:25 GMT

>Bill who is 85. Maybe it's mainly us gals that are sprightly?

And does Bill get his exercise by fending off the females ? <grin>

jingles

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:08:45 +0000 (UTC)

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> And does Bill get his exercise by fending off the females ? <grin>
Poor devil doesn't get the chance. His 'friend' is the 87 year old who is as
jealous as hell of anyone she thinks is getting 'too friendly' with him.
It's so sad. Bill says take no notice of her.
He's a lovely chap, tall ex RN and you can just see him in his officers
uniform. He is so interesting to listen to. What Sylvia doesn't realise is
that no one has any designs on the man, he is just part of the group.

*****

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:34:01 GMT

>that no one has any designs on the man, he is just part of the group.

Can't stand jealous women myself.    My husband and I trust each other
implicitly and we are never jealous.....

jingles