Subject: Enough dialogue

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:51:06 -0500 (CDT)

Bobbie, Bob, Eugene and Marian have traded insults enough, don't you
think?  It is becoming boring sifting through all the political crap.
Think what you like, but stop trying to change the minds  others of us
who are sick of this subject.    Neither side will give an inch, so
please be quiet!
Jeanette

---

From: "Oh Well" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:32:32 -0500

Amen

Jeanette S. <[email-masked]> wrote in message news:[email-masked]...
| Bobbie, Bob, Eugene and Marian have traded insults enough, don't you
| think?  It is becoming boring sifting through all the political crap.
| Think what you like, but stop trying to change the minds  others of us
| who are sick of this subject.    Neither side will give an inch, so
| please be quiet!
| Jeanette
|

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:59:15 -0500

>who are sick of this subject.    Neither side will give an inch, so

I'll go along with that.  

However, I think if you will check you will find I start very few threads.
Unless I overlooked one I can find only one thread I started that had anything
to do with politics; "The California Recall and how I would vote".   The rest
concerned jokes.  

I also think you will find that I have not traded many, if any, insults. 
( I suppose that depends on what you call an insult. )

You will find that I respond to political post that I find in error, or insults,
my country or president.

-- 
Eugene A. Calame    [email-masked]
Austin, Texas USA   

Please ask your ISP to add the newsgroup alt.misc.friends

---

From: "Barbara Christian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:47:14 +1000

.
> who are sick of this subject.    Neither side will give an inch, so
=========
If you note, I have not answered insults recently. If you're not
interested in political issues, then just mark the conversation
read. Simple!

Bobbie

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:00:33 +0100

Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]> wrote
>You will find that I respond to political post that I find in error, or insults,
Please believe this is just a wise-crack Eugene, not a political point:
"Your president - your problem".    :-)
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:54:24 -0500 (CDT)

Eugene wrote:  "I'll go along with that. 
However, I think if you will check you will find I start very few
threads. Unless I overlooked one I can find only one thread I started
that had anything to do with politics; "The California Recall and how I
would vote".   The rest concerned jokes. 
I also think you will find that I have not traded many, if any, insults.
( I suppose that depends on what you call an insult. ) 
You will find that I respond to political post that I find in error, or
insults, my country or president."
**************************************
Didn't say you started anything.  Go back and read what I wrote. I
mentioned those names particularly because their owners seemed to be
completely riled up.  And it is insulting to try to impose one's views
on another.  Jeanette

---

From: Eugene A. Calame <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:09:53 -0500

>insults, my country or president."

I more or less enjoy the exchanges.  I am sorry you do not.

If I was all riled up I might take the stand that you are attempting to impose
your views on us.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 10:06:34 -0500 (CDT)

Eugene wrote:  "I more or less enjoy the exchanges. I am sorry you do
not. 
If I was all riled up I might take the stand that you are attempting to
impose your views on us."
***************************************
 I enjoy some of the posts for a while, then pick through them when the
thread has gone on to me, seemingly forever.   I have no view on most of
the subjects that I wish to impos on others, but find myself answering
some of the more "stirring" ones.   Jeanette

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:43:41 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
on another.

Soooo, why are you trying to impose your views on "dialogue" on us???

grin

bob

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:21:19 GMT

>insults, my country or president."

OK....back off now you lot....or we will descend to the level of many
other newsgroups.....just like the ones we have left because.....
Well! you know the drill <grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (toci)
Date: 19 Oct 2003 20:56:55 -0700

[email-masked] (Jeanette S.) wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...
> insults, my country or president."

I enjoy the political dialogue, except when people seem distressed by
the differences of opinion.  There are long threads where I've lost
interest that I just don't open.  Why not do that if you are off a set
of topics fo awhile?  Toci

---

From: "Bigbazza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:50:41 +1000

> Well! you know the drill <grin>

Hey...Jingles....I've looked each day to find your posts...(Now ..Don't you
say..."Where are yours"....)...Been looking for a Birthday
greeting..<G>....Thought you may have remembered from AFPF...Mmmmmm...I'm
crying...turned that "OLD AGE" of 64...I can't now sing along with the
Beatles in that song..."When I'm 64"..Boooo....as I've already there....Such
a depression....Mmmm....
Where you've been....

Bigbazza(Barry)..Oz..(The BEST COUNTRY ) remaining in this world....
PS..

(Bigbazza(Barry)...Oz...(Note..OZ..)..City  (Sydney..)...<ggg>...)

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:08:54 GMT

>(Bigbazza(Barry)...Oz...(Note..OZ..)..City  (Sydney..)...<ggg>...)

Ok! Ok!  You don't have to sing 'Advance Australia Fair'  a couple of
Oi!s will do....<grin>  A happy belated birthday greeting to you
Bazza... wish I was as young as you are.....
Happy Anniversary to the old Opera House too....30 years it has been
standing there,  and hosted some very famous people.....(popped in
there myself actually....)
Well now.....I have been absent a bit of the time,  had a long weekend
visitor so only had time to download my mail, while she took a
shower.... When she left I took a big breath and began to answer my
mail....but the breath must have been a bit too big  'cos I landed up
in hospital with a monitor on my chest.   A false alarm though....but
gee we have some very handsome male nurses in Ballarat....I think they
may be what keeps me going back there....
All the medicos here are so young....hardly a gray hair among them....
a bit of a change from those pompous types in Melbourne....<grin>
Glad to see you back anyway.....throw in a post now and again will
you.....just to help keep this end of the world in touch....

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:25:07 -0500 (CDT)

Toci wrote:  "I enjoy the political dialogue, except when people seem
distressed by the differences of opinion. There are long threads where
I've lost interest that I just don't open. Why not do that if you are
off a set of topics fo awhile? Toci"
********************************************
I do Toci, but, I wouldn't want to miss anything in a thread that is off
the subject, now would I?  8-)  Jeanette

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:13:19 +0100

Jeanette S. <[email-masked]> wrote
>off a set of topics fo awhile? Toci"
Plan A was ignoring contentious posts.
I think it's time for Plan B.
Watch me.    <g>
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (toci)
Date: 20 Oct 2003 18:51:59 -0700

[email-masked] (Jeanette S.) wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...
> off a set of topics fo awhile? Toci"

Sure you would.  What do you think is Gordon's Plan B?
  Toci

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:59:28 +0100

toci <[email-masked]> wrote
>[email-masked] (Jeanette S.) wrote in message news:<14154-3F93F043-74@s
>torefull-2315.public.lawson.webtv.net>...

Clue:  I have already used it once and it worked.
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:40:27 -0500 (CDT)

Gordon wrote:  "Plan A was ignoring contentious posts.
I think it's time for Plan B.
Watch me.   <g>"
*********************************
I'll be watching with bated/baited breath!  Which is it - bated or
baited?  8-)  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:42:59 -0500 (CDT)

Tocie wrote:  Sure you would. What do you think is Gordon's Plan B? Toci 
Gordon wrote:  "Clue: I have already used it once and it worked."
***********************************
A good detective I am not!  Jeanette

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:30:04 +0100

>Gordon wrote:  "Clue: I have already used it once and it worked."
OK, wait until someone else gets unpleasant or insulting about politics
and read my response.   It's mindless, really.....  <g> 
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:18:28 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
Gordon wrote:  "Plan A was ignoring contentious posts.
I think it's time for Plan B.
Watch me. <g>"
*********************************
I'll be watching with bated/baited breath!  Which is it - bated or
baited?  8-)  Jeanette

That depends on what you've been eating.  If you're trying to catch a
mouse, and you eat cheese, it's baited.

Bate is a form of "abate".  I believe "bated breath" means you're
holding your breath.

Joy

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:19:20 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> and read my response.   It's mindless, really.....  <g>

That's appropriate, since getting unpleasant or insulting about politics
is also mindless.  ;-)

Joy

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:42:16 -0400 (EDT)

Jeanette - - there is a difference between imposing (sometimes in an
insulting manner) one's views upon others, or discussing various points
of view.Many are, indeed, interested in politics and world affairs, and
they should, ideally lead to good discussions.  If only people will
remain civil.  I noticed that,currently, there was a dicssion about
religion - -well, nothing could possibly be more delicate and
controversial than that!!  Why don't you let those who do feel insulted
plead their own case, and solve their dilemma, and let the chips fall
where they may!!!!!!
I, for one, much prefer exchanges about world affairs, politics, yes,
religion , if need be, cultural questions,etc.etc. - than what chores we
are planning to do, or how we spent the day yesterday,etc.etc.
Although, occasionally, I, too, enjoy some little reverie, either from
the past, or from personal experience - as long as that does not become
a "chronic" condition!!
An e-mail, private partner and I once almost came to blows (!!) over the
question: who is the better tenor: Luciano Pavarotti or Placido
Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a
challenge!!!!!!!!Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:43:47 -0400 (EDT)

Gordon - - hear, hear!!!----Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:46:00 -0400 (EDT)

Gordon - - why wait?!  All you have to do is to say something
provocative!!!  It will have your DESIRED result, and then we will watch
you.===Olly

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:47:42 +0100

Olly Mensch <[email-masked]> wrote
>provocative!!!  It will have your DESIRED result, and then we will watch
Au contraire, ma cher....
What's the weather like where you are?
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:19:40 +0000 (UTC)

> Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a
Dear Olly, Pavarotti has perfect pitch and is a pleasure to
listen to, especially in belle canto roles such as those written
by Donizetti, his top Cs are so pure. Domingo on the other
hand started his adult life as a baritone and was encouraged
to sing tenor parts, so now his voice is more suited to the heavier operatic
roles of Verdi and Wagner although both men are equally excellent in Puccini
parts. Pavarotti does a lot of recital work whereas Domingo sings more
operatic work and is also an excellent actor, Pavarotti is very wooden in
his operatic roles. Both men are divine to listen to but Domingo
has the bonus advantage of being a pleasure to watch also.
Placido gets my vote. Enough dialogue, lets all sing.

>^..^<
*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:51:07 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:40:27 -0500 (CDT), [email-masked]
(Jeanette S.) wrote:

>Watch me. =A0 <g>"

Did we ever get that one sorted out? <grin>

jingles - whose short tem memory is 'iffy'

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:52:39 GMT

>and read my response.   It's mindless, really.....  <g> 

Join the Club mate....<grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:54:28 GMT

>What's the weather like where you are?

Ah Morticia.....I love it when you speak French...<grin>(grabbing hand
and salivating all over it....)

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:04:42 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:42:16 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] (Olly

>Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a

Each to his own as the old lady said when she kissed the cow....

I for one prefer the lighter posts of the newsgroup.  World politics
do interest me....but not the arguments that go with the topic.
What I do hate to see is people who like the lighter side of this
newsgroup leaving because they feel overwhelmed by   the heavier
topics.  I believe it behoves us to try and maintain a balance.
As for your choice of tenor,  I agree that Pavarotti is excellent,
Domingo happens to be just a trifle better <grin> but if you don't
break my Domingo CDs,  I will return the courtesy and leave your
Pavarotti CDs intact.

jingles - who is now going to take a coffee break, and maybe throw her
husband on the floor and tear off his clothes....( note I said
maybe...)  or perhaps I should settle for a cream biscuit....

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:06:37 GMT

>Placido gets my vote. Enough dialogue, lets all sing.

After you dear lady....."O sole mio..."

jingles

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:33:21 +0000 (UTC)

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> After you dear lady....."O sole mio..."

ooooooh are you not posh, didn't 'one cornetto' reach your
shore. <bg>

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:35:49 +0000 (UTC)

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> To dunk or not to dunk, ( You see, I knew which one
you would choose)

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:02:47 -0400 (EDT)

Gordon - can't deal with your suggested topic, discussing the weather.
Too provocative -I am too old for such blood-curdling topics!!!!  Try
again!!===Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:09:51 -0400 (EDT)

Jan--I agree with everything you posted about Pavarotti and Domingo.
Only my favorite - by far - is Pavarotti.  There is a certain amazing
quality to his voice, and, it seems to me that Domingo, though having a
lovely voice, but when he hits the high notes, they seem to sound tinny,
and often nasal.  Anyway - I have a CD player right on my headboard. At
night, I slip in one of Pavarotti's - and listen - and think I am in
heaven.  I also have some where he sings with Joan Sutherland - who,by
the way , is my favorite female soprano.  Life could not be better, when
listening to that kind of music!!!  Invariably I all asleep!!!
Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:22:39 -0400 (EDT)

Jingles - - while you are on the floor with your husband, I am trashing
your Domingo CD's .  Watch out!!
On a different note - to respond to your comments - I, too, enjoy the
give and take of some lighthearted exchanges, but not as a permanent
peoccupation.  I enjoy discussions about interesting topics, be that
politics, art, social issues, and all he many things which have always
been of interest.
Yet - it seems to be difficult to have a serious but civilized exchange
of different views, wihout the rancor that usually develops, especially
in politics.  Yet, the world is so interesting - and dangerous - these
days - and always has been - that it seems hard to escape voicing one's
concerns and views, and hoping for a discussion without too much bias.
Well, I shall try to "stifle".  God knows what that will do to my
psyche!!!
Olly

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:20:59 GMT

>ooooooh are you not posh, didn't 'one cornetto' reach your

Ooops sorry.....too highbrow?

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:23:01 GMT

>> To dunk or not to dunk, ( You see, I knew which one

So did my husband <grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:30:55 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:22:39 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] (Olly

>Well, I shall try to "stifle".  God knows what that will do to my

I find that where such serious topics are concerned 'face to face'
discussions are better.  There is not the same temptation to 'blow up'
as there is on a newsgroup -  there is not the same anonymity to hide
behind...
Even face to face I have seen a 'discussion' of America's attack on
Iraq fragment my family.....two of my children are no longer speaking
to each other after having a 'serious' discussion which almost came to
blows....  My daughter is married to an American,  my son is
Australian.   A second son walked out on the argument and told them
both to 'drop dead'.....

So you see,  I will romp with you,  joke with you....and pull your
leg.....but I will not argue politics with you....

jingles - who now has to carry the can.

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:37:49 +0000 (UTC)

"Olly Mensch" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> listening to that kind of music!!!  Invariably I all asleep!!!

Those two did some marvelous recordings together. I said
to Mike a while back that one of my favourite recordings
was of Pavarotti, King of the High Cs. Knocks your socks
off. It's one of Mike's also.

>^..^<  (who would listen to a recording of the phone
*****     directory if sung by Domingo)  <vbg>

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:02:09 +0000 (UTC)

. Both men are divine to listen to but Domingo
> Ooops sorry.....too highbrow?

I don't know if you had the same advert for Wall's Corneto
Ice-Cream but the words were 'Just one Corneto, Give it
to me, Delicious ice-cream, From Italy' sung to O Sol Mio.
So well known that when in Italy and a busker was playing
that tune the whole group of us broke out into 'Just one
Corneto'. Do you have Wall's.

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:54:51 GMT

>Corneto'. Do you have Wall's.

I regret we don't have Walls....but I remember a piece of classical
music being used for a toilet roll commercial and it was recognised as
such by young son.....in a very loud voice <grin>

jingles

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:49:17 +0100

jingles <[email-masked]> wrote
>and salivating all over it....)

Bleeeeuuugggghhhh!
-- 
Gordon
(Grabbing a Kleenex)

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:52:16 +0100

>After you dear lady....."O sole mio..."

"That don' impress me much -
Doo-doo, doo-wahhh"...

I don't think either have the same effect on me as Shania, or Cher, or
Kylie or Madonna . . . .
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:10:55 +0100

>jingles - who now has to carry the can.
There are certain issues which can split groups, because where there are
polarised views, people tend to accuse the holders of opposing views as
'biased'!      They assume that if they can convince the other side that
they are 'biased' they will change their views.
This will never happen.

If people wish to debate issues seriously, they should join a debating
society composed of people with differing points of view.
When the speakers have finished, the whole assembly vote according to
which was the most convincing argument.
Then they all shut up and go home.   ;-)

In this country (UK) we joined in a war without any such debate other
than in Parliament, where the Opposition supported the government
anyway.   If there had been a referendum of all citizens, we would not
have had a war.

This is the source of much of the conflict for and against war in the
groups, and I am heartily sick of it.

I am convinced, as is most of Europe, that the better way would have
been to carry out thorough inspections in Iraq, backed by a *United* UN,
not one split by unilateral agendas of a small minority.

There, I have gone and done it again.

A clear statement of my opinion, no rancour, no bias.
Let no one accuse me of either!
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Mike Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:31:44 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
> Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a

Challenge accepted :-)

Andrea Bocelli

-- 
Mike Clayton
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike_clayton

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:52:58 +0000 (UTC)

"Mike Clayton" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> > Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a

Come off it Mike, she's talking about singers. He is a
warbler, and a wibbly wobbly warbler at that. <g>

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:25:40 +0000 (UTC)

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> I don't think either have the same effect on me as Shania, or Cher, or

I should hope not sir seeing they are both males.
You reputation would be right up the Swanee. <g>

*****

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:05:32 +0100

>jingles - whose short tem memory is 'iffy'
Joy was correct.   Bated or 'bated means holding your breath.

Baited was what I did with that Plan B post.  I hooked one or two,
others joined in, and some just swam by without noticing....   
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:07:40 +0100

>Too provocative -I am too old for such blood-curdling topics!!!!  Try
I can now officially announce the success of plan B.

Remember - you heard it first from me, and it could out-live the Atkins
diet (or rather its followers).  ;-)
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:11:14 +0100

Mike Clayton <[email-masked]> wrote
>> Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a
M wife liked the Three Tenors, with a slight weakness for the Spaniard,
but that was purely hormonal.  :-)

M**** loves Bocelli, and I must admit he has a very plaintive quality in
his voice in some of his songs.  

Unfortunately his name sounds like a bacterial culture.
-- 
Gordon

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:21:11 -0500 (CDT)

Gordon wrote:  "OK, wait until someone else gets unpleasant or insulting
about politics and read my response.   It's mindless, really..... <g>"
********************************************
OK Gordon - I'll wait with bated/baited breath!!!  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:23:40 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote:  "That depends on what you've been eating. If you're trying
to catch a mouse, and you eat cheese, it's baited. 
Bate is a form of "abate". I believe "bated breath" means you're
holding your breath."
*****************************************
Joy, thanks a lot.  I ws too lazy to look it up!
Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:29:18 -0500 (CDT)

Olly wrote:  "An e-mail, private partner and I once almost came to blows
(!!) over the question: who is the better tenor: Luciano Pavarotti or
Placido Domingo!! My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as
a challenge!!!!!!!!"
*****************************************
Not being very cultured, I prefer Placido Domingo, especially a song he
and Willy Nelson sang.  Cannot remember the name.  I think it was
something about where all the girls go.  -  No challenge really,
particularly as I don't understand anything either of them says
(Pavarotti or Domingo) except when sung in English!  8-)  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:33:09 -0500 (CDT)

Jan wrote:  "Enough dialogue, lets all sing. 
^..^<"
*****************************************
OK, you start!  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:36:27 -0500 (CDT)

jingles wrote:   (re bate/bait breath)"
******************************************
Thanks to Joy, we did.  Also she included a little mnemonic!  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:41:49 -0500 (CDT)

jingles, carrying the can wrote:  "I find that where such serious topics
are concerned 'face to face' discussions are better. There is not the
same temptation to 'blow up' as there is on a newsgroup - there is not
the same anonymity to hide behind... 
Even face to face I have seen a 'discussion' of America's attack on Iraq
fragment my family.....two of my children are no longer speaking to each
other after having a 'serious' discussion which almost came to blows....
My daughter is married to an American, my son is Australian.   A
second son walked out on the argument and told them both to 'drop
dead'..... 
So you see, I will romp with you, joke with you....and pull your
leg.....but I will not argue politics with you.... 
jingles - who now has to carry the can.
*****************************************
I'm with you.  BYW, what do you have in your can?  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:45:30 -0500 (CDT)

Gordon wrote:  "A clear statement of my opinion, no rancour, no bias.
Let no one accuse me of either!"
************************************
Hear, hear, Gordon!  Jeanette

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:24:36 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> I think it's time for Plan B.
"Contentious" being defined as??????????

cheers

bob

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:09:44 +0100

>Placido Domingo!! My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as
Translating -

Returnioioio a Sorriento:
=========================

"Beneath thy window, as the dawn is breaking...
.
.
.
Come back to Sorrento, the seagulls are missing thee..."

Summink like that.....
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Mike Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:54:00 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, Jan.Lancaster1
@btopenworld.com says...
> warbler, and a wibbly wobbly warbler at that. <g>

I hope that his Mum never reads that <g>
-- 
Mike Clayton
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike_clayton

---

From: Mike Clayton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:59:02 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] says...
> Unfortunately his name sounds like a bacterial culture.

Sounds like a pasta dish to me :-)
-- 
Mike Clayton
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike_clayton

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:19:36 GMT

>I don't think either have the same effect on me as Shania, or Cher, or

I notice that each and every one of them reduces their gear to a
minimum  <grin>  one of them actually sings I believe....<ebg>
jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:21:32 GMT

>Let no one accuse me of either!

I'm not giving you an argument <smile> but I do wish Blair would
change his hairdresser.....

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:27:29 GMT

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:41:49 -0500 (CDT), [email-masked]
(Jeanette S.) wrote:

>My daughter is married to an American, my son is Australian. =A0 A

Why did you have to ask that?   Lanky! where are you....<grin>

jingles

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:51:27 +0100

>minimum  <grin>  one of them actually sings I believe....<ebg>
Kylie is lightweight, I suppose, but the others have talent beyond
removing their clothes.    ;-)

They are all good at what they do, which is what it is all about...
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:53:07 +0100

>change his hairdresser.....

Can't say I've noticed....
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:53:45 +0100

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:27:29 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>Why did you have to ask that?   Lanky! where are you....<grin>
I'm here! The can referred to was full of worms.<g>

Lanky.

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:47:52 -0500 (CDT)

bob wrote:  ""Contentious" being defined as?????????? 
cheers"
**************************************
Testy?  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Olly Mensch)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:30:06 -0400 (EDT)

Jeanette - no, it is something other than "testy" - - I would guess that
Gordon sees "contentious" as being any statement which differs from his
political views.==Olly

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:54:15 +0100

>bob wrote:  ""Contentious" being defined as?????????? 
Controversial.   Ain't you guys got a dictionary?
-- 
Gordon

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:55:41 +0100

>Gordon sees "contentious" as being any statement which differs from his
I refer you to your dictionary.

Lotte, you really do try people's patience with repeated personal
attacks.
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Yoj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:45:21 GMT

"Gordon" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> Controversial.   Ain't you guys got a dictionary?

One can be controversial without being contentious.  I think a closer
definition for contentious would be argumentative, and/or possibly
confrontational.

Joy

---

From: Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:01:21 +0100

Yoj <[email-masked]> wrote
>definition for contentious would be argumentative, and/or possibly
Fair enough.   In fact, contentious was the word I used, and your
meaning was what I meant, looking back at the context.  :-)
-- 
Gordon

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:28:57 +0000 (UTC)

> change his hairdresser.....

I think Tony's hair style is the least of his problems at the moment, at
least he has got one, not like a certain party
leader I could mention. <g>

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:28:58 +0000 (UTC)

"Lanky" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> I'm here! The can referred to was full of worms.<g>

Wriggle out of that one.

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:50:05 GMT

>They are all good at what they do, which is what it is all about...

Of course it is....only pulling your leg,  though I do feel that Kylie
always looks like a 'tart'... just my personal opinion of course.

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:51:41 GMT

>leader I could mention. <g>

Little Johny just gives his head a once over with the face washer
<grin>  but you have to admit he never misses his morning walk...no
matter which country he is in....<grin>

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:53:10 GMT

>I'm here! The can referred to was full of worms.<g>

See! I only have to call and he comes arunning.....How are you Lanky
my old mate?  I hope the countryside is living up to expectations.

jingles

---

From: [email-masked] (toci)
Date: 23 Oct 2003 18:50:55 -0700

[email-masked] (Olly Mensch) wrote in message news:<[email-masked]>...
> Domingo!!  My choice was Pavarotti - - I am throwing this out as a
They sound the same, but they look different.  Toci

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:08:47 +0000 (UTC)

> They sound the same, but they look different.  Toci

Sorry to disagree but they do not sound the same at all.
I can usually tell whom is singing before it is announce.
Listening to the 3 Tenors singing at one of their concerts I don't need to
look to know which one is singing. Of course
I like classical music better than the modern music, which
usually does sound all the same to me. <g>
I have a pretty catholic taste in music and still enjoy the Stones and other
60s groups as well as brass bands, pipes, and sloppy songs from earlier
years.

*****

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:10:54 +0100

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:53:10 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>my old mate?  I hope the countryside is living up to expectations.

More ambling like. I'm OK. Wus aw reet.

Lanky.

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:10:55 +0100

>> I'm here! The can referred to was full of worms.<g>
Why does this remind me of Arthur Askey?

Lanky

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:29:44 GMT

"Jeanette S." <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> bob wrote:  ""Contentious" being defined as??????????
One hopes.  It may also mean "one with which I don't agree".  grin

cheers

bob

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:10:43 -0500 (CDT)

Jeanette - no, it is something other than "testy" - - I would guess that
Gordon sees "contentious" as being any statement which differs from his
political views.==Olly
**********************************************
Contend =  to strive in debate; argue; maintain, assert.
Testy - easily annoyed; irritable; marked impatience or ill humor:
exasparated;  see also,irascible which means:  to become angry,, be
angry; marked by hot temper and easily provoked.  

So I don't think what you said Gordon meant (above) is what he sees.
Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:14:00 -0500 (CDT)

Joy wrote:  One can be  controversial without being contentious. I think
a closer definition for contentious would be argumentative, and/or
possibly confrontational.
****************************************
Exactly Joy, and I agree with the confrontational part.  Jeanette

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeanette S.)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:18:19 -0500 (CDT)

Gordon wrote:  "Fair enough.   In fact, contentious was the word I
used, and your meaning was what I meant, looking back at the context.
:-)"
*******************************************
I knew what you meant Gordon.  I'm not going to sit here and let others
call you contentious
when you're not!  You have a right to your views as do others and not
all are going to agree.  Think what a dull world it would be if
everybody agreed all the time.  Jeanette

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:09:21 +0000 (UTC)

.....but I will not argue politics with you....
> Why does this remind me of Arthur Askey?

Humour me, my brain is tired.

*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:16:43 GMT

>Why does this remind me of Arthur Askey?

" I'm just a dear little wriggly worm...."

Morning Lanky mi owd mate....

jingles

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:32:43 +0100

>Humour me, my brain is tired.
One of Arthur Askey's silly little songs was about a wriggly worm.
Jingles remembers it, she has a memory like an elephant; but there the
similarity ends I hasten to add (for protection). <grin>

Lanky

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:32:42 +0100

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:16:43 GMT, [email-masked] (jingles)

>Morning Lanky mi owd mate....
Morning jingles mi owd mucker. It's right what they say about the
early bird.<vbg>
One of Arthur's lesser known songs I think.<vbg>

Lanky

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:22:02 +0000 (UTC)

"Lanky" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> One of Arthur's lesser known songs I think.<vbg>

But the second mouse gets the cheese. <g>

*****

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:22:04 +0000 (UTC)

> similarity ends I hasten to add (for protection). <grin>

No. Nothing. Only the busy busy bee. Of course I
am one of the babies of this group. . . ;-))

*****

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:54:55 GMT

> Controversial.   Ain't you guys got a dictionary?
It wasn't my own definition of the term I was questioning.  You have often
posted quite controversial things, as I recall.

grin

bob

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:34:03 GMT

>similarity ends I hasten to add (for protection). <grin>

That's 'cos mi mum went into labour at the circus.....

jingles (you'll keep Lanky <grin>)

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:42:27 GMT

>One of Arthur's lesser known songs I think.<vbg>

Been trying to remember the second line
......
something - something - from stem to stern....

jingles (darn it! my short-term memory is getting the the way
again....)

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:37:04 +0000 (UTC)

"jingles" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
> jingles (you'll keep Lanky <grin>)

And mine was at the pictures watching Bambi.  But it didn't
stop her watching right to the end.
*****

---

From: [email-masked] (jingles)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:24:22 GMT

>stop her watching right to the end.

And my daughter was watching a Sci Fi movie at the Cinema.....we tried
to make her leave and she wouldn't until it finished....

jingles

---

From: "Bob Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:21:08 GMT

> Morning jingles mi owd mucker. It's right what they say about the

Yabut, I suspect the early bird works for somebody that sleeps late.

grin

bob

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:06:12 +0000

>am one of the babies of this group. . . ;-))
Don't worry, we understand, kiddo.<g>

Lanky

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:06:13 +0000

>But the second mouse gets the cheese. <g>
^  ^
(*)(*)
  =O=    Second mouse??? Get up off your backside cat!!

Felix

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:06:14 +0000

>Yabut, I suspect the early bird works for somebody that sleeps late.
LOL..............Yup, I reckon.<g>

Lanky.

---

From: "Jan Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:11:15 +0000 (UTC)

>   =O=    Second mouse??? Get up off your backside cat!!

Couldn't. . .  was still trying to get the first one out
of the trap!

*****

---

From: Lanky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:49:03 +0000

>Couldn't. . .  was still trying to get the first one out
..../|,,,/|.....
 =( ' ; ' )=
 ...(U U)_/
 ,,,,0,,0,,,,,    Leave some for me............yummie!!